Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davemon40
    • Mar 2004

WINDVD "Can't find any CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Device"

"CAN'T FIND ANY CD-ROM/DVD-ROM DEVICE" is the error WINDVD4, and also version 3, give me when I try to play a movie.

I have a Toshiba SD-M1302 on a Quantex 733 MHZ running Windows 98SE. The DVD-ROM works, I've used it to load programs like Encarta, and even this WINDVD program. DVD movies with Interactual player load and the player works. But neither version of WINDVD work.

I used to have WINDVD3 on my computer and it worked fine to play movies. Since then I've had to install a new MOBO (could this be the problem? new one is TYAN S1854), and reformatted and reinstalled Windows. I now have WINDVD 4, but reloaded version 3 to see if that would work, and now both versions give me that error.

System properties indicated the CD and DVD are fine, and the DVD firmware is latest version (1006 for this player). I've been searching for days to find someone else with this error and have tried numerous things. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Someone else had me try PowerDVD but that didn't work either - similar problem in that it just said "Stop" after I tried to start it, and then nothing.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try re-installing DirectX...

Comment

• davemon40
      • Mar 2004

I tried that

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did try that and it made no difference. I also tried to uninstall Windows Media Player 9 Series and reinstall that, to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea if I should try messing with the BIOS settings for UDMA and/or PIO ?

Comment

Working...