NTSC DVD (Compressed with DVD Shrink- Burnt with Nero) on a PAL DVD Player?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FrenchKiller30
    • Apr 2004

NTSC DVD (Compressed with DVD Shrink- Burnt with Nero) on a PAL DVD Player?

Hi there:

I just saw a post concerning a problem with a DVD burnt on a PAL system that couldn't be read on a NTSC player. I just compressed a few NTSC DVDs that I have at home (US) with DVD Shrink and burnt them with Nero. Will my kids in France (PAL system) be able to read them? If not, is there a solution to this problem?

Thank you very much for your help.
  • Dash
    • Apr 2004

Re: NTSC DVD (Compressed with DVD Shrink- Burnt with Nero) on a PAL DVD Player?

Originally posted by FrenchKiller30
    Hi there:

I just saw a post concerning a problem with a DVD burnt on a PAL system that couldn't be read on a NTSC player. I just compressed a few NTSC DVDs that I have at home (US) with DVD Shrink and burnt them with Nero. Will my kids in France (PAL system) be able to read them? If not, is there a solution to this problem?

Thank you very much for your help.
    My understanding of PAL vs NTSC, when it comes to DVDs, is simply a difference of resolution (PAL has a greater vertical resolution). As far as I know, most NTSC players won't play PAL.
    However in the PAL country where I live (Australia), almost all PAL DVD players will handle NTSC, and output the signal in either format. In fact I think all but the cheaper PAL devices (VCRs, TVs etc) are able to hande NTSC these days.
    However isn't France officially SECAM? I'm not sure about this bit, but I think SECAM is closely related to PAL, so most SECAM devices handle PAL, but NTSC as well?

Dash

PS Just found This Link . It even mentions France specifically, but not sure if it still exactly answers the question.
    PPS Just re-read the topic of your post. If it's definitely a PAL DVD player you want to use, the answer is most likely to be yes.
    Last edited by Dash; 30 Apr 2004, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• FrenchKiller30
      • Apr 2004

Thanks Dash. I really appreciate your help.

Take care.

Chris

Comment

Working...