X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sanderb
    • May 2004

FX5200 TVOut DVD playback fades in and out

Hi there,

I have an NVidia FX5200 that I have connected to a (PAL) TV through the SVHS connector.

Everything has always worked fine, but now I have a DVD player in my computer, and I experience problems with the output quality. Specifically, when playing a DVD the TV output darkens about 25%. And then as playback continues the screen becomes brighter and brighter, then when it is at its normal birghtness it flashes between bright and dark for about 15 seconds (the periods between dark and bright are a little less than a second).

It is related to DVD playback, as soon as I close a media player (I tried it with Windows Media Player, Real Player and PowerDVD), the TV output will brighten up again (sometimes after a few seconds). Other movies of the disk also play fine.

I also tried pausing the DVD playback, thinking that maybe it drew away power from the videocard (I know *nothing* about hardware), but when pausing the darkening behavior stays.

Has anybody seen this behavior? I browsed through the forum, FAQ and on Google but could not find anything that seemed like my problem.
    I did read somewhere that apparently when DVD playback occurs the videocard automatically switches to a different color mode. Does anybody know whether that is true, that the video mode switches as soon as video playback occurs? And if so, is there a way to disable that?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • sanderb
    • May 2004

To answer my own question (for future reference for others perhaps), turns out this behavior is actually a copy protection called Macrovision. See e.g.

I do have a VCR between my TV and TV Out (only one scart plug on TV), taking the VCR out of the loop makes the behavior go away.

Comment

Working...