Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcink
    • Jul 2004

MPEG playback video appears negative

Till now I had no problems playing DVDs or other clips/movie files on my PC. Recently I popped in a DVD and started navigating DVD menu in Win DVD. Initially the picture was fine, but upon one of my navigations the picture suddently turned looking like a negative. Now any DVD or MPEG file I play looks the same - screen all white with some light pastel coloured resemblance of the actual video.

I have tried:
    - rebooting machine
    - playing in Real Player, Windows Media Player, and All Player
    - reinstalling codecs

Nothing helps.

AVI files play correctly so it does seam to be a problem with some codec and/or filter, but I have not been able to put my finger on how to fix it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Marcin
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Check to make certain that your videocard is properly seated and connected

2) Check the Color, Brightness, and Contrast settings in WinDVD

Comment

• marcink
      • Jul 2004

No, the problem is not with hardware (BTW, I am running this on a laptop). I found by playing with some codec toys that by manually changing the colour encoding spec I get the correct colour. The problem is that this was using experimental codec software, and it would not play sound correctly.

Unfortunatelly the setting is not persistant, and next time I try playing any MPEG (DVD or not) it goes back to the original problem.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Try UNinstalling your "experimental codec software" and try (as I previously mentioned) checking the Color, Brightness, and Contrast settings in WinDVD...

Comment

• tastoron
          • Oct 2004

Re: MPEG playback video appears negative

did you ever solve this problem? I have exactly the same symptom which appeared suddenly for no apparent reason. a second instance plays ok.i.e. if I start a video playback it is negative but if I start another in a different player before the first one finishes it's ok. doesn't matter whether I start with WMP or Winamp or Realplayer
          any help would be appreciated - I've tried all the suggestions - I know it's not hardware.

Comment

• marcink
            • Jul 2004

Sorry Tom, but I did not solve the problem. I got as far as playing around with the custom codecs I downloaded. The player that came with them allowed me to change the colour space of the playback and that fixes things, but only for that instant of the playback. Next time I play something it is broken again, and I can not use the fix in other players.

I've been too busy with other things to play with it so far. Now, I am having other Windows problems - time to re-install the OS, which should fix things. If you ever find a solution, please late me know in case this happens again. This is definitely a problem with the color space used by the decoded. You might want to look for colour space / colour format / colour encoding configuration / issues, maybe even at MSDN.

Good Luck.
            Marcin

Comment

Working...