Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roderick
    • Jul 2004

PC Sony DVD Drive DDU1612 - Problems with Region-Free Conversion

Can anyone assist with this query? I tried to make my Sony DDU1612 DVD drive region free (presently encoded for Region 4). I used the freeware utility file LtnRPC.exe to try & change the region to either 0 or 9, but when I run this file and click "disable", I keep getting a dialog box error message "Fail to switch RPC Work!"

As I understand it, I need to get LtnRPC.exe to work on "disable" before I can follow up with the Maiden or Region Killer utility as part 2 of the process. I realise that I may also have to take a third step of going into the system for Windows XP and changing the settings there as well.

Is there a way around this error message? At least the counter goes back when I click "disable"and adds another change to the remaining 4 in the vendor's favour. but it does NOT actually disable, as the PC still reports region encoding particulars when scanned with driveinfo.exe.

I am a total novice at this game, any constructive suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don' t want the drive locking on me permanently once it thinks I have used up my 4 changes. Thanks,

RoderickPC Sony DVD Drive DDU1612 - Problems with Region-Free Conversion PC Sony DVD Drive DDU1612 - Problems with Region-Free Conversion
    Rod
  • decryptit
    • Jan 2004

"Fail to switch RPC Work!"
    Its clear it failed to patch your drive and ther is no other way you can patch it exept using a suitable firmware.
    Region killer, dvd region free etc just bypass the region check, whilst reading your dvd, and by doing that you will be temporarily
    be able to play your region set dvd.
    Total Number Of Views
    Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• roderick
      • Jul 2004

Many thanks for your helpful reply, Decryptit, I feared that something like that may have been the case. Obviously I shall have to wait until a firmware patch has been engineered which covers this particular brand of RPC2 drive. Wish I had been able to install an RPC1 drive, but these can no longer be had in this country. Just the same, thanks for trying. Regards, Rod.
      Rod

Comment

• decryptit
        • Jan 2004

Try this one !
        Attached Files
        Total Number Of Views
        Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• decryptit
          • Jan 2004

Part 2
          Attached Files
          Total Number Of Views
          Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• decryptit
            • Jan 2004

Part 3
            Attached Files
            Total Number Of Views
            Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• roderick
              • Jul 2004

Many thanks for sending these, decryptit, but unfortunately there seems to have been an error when the *.rar files were compressed. Although I can open part 1, I get an error message reported as "engine: file format error" when I try to expand parts 2 & 3 with Stuffit. Would it be possible to try and compress them again with some other common compression utility (e.g. WinZip) and see how we go? Stuffit usually opens *.rar, *.arj and most other compressed files quite OK, but we have run into a problem this time.

Would appreciate your assistance,
              Thanks, Rod.
              Last edited by roderick; 17 Aug 2004, 12:47 PM.
              Rod

Comment

• roderick
                • Jul 2004

Attn Decryptit:
                Further to my last message, how necessary or even feasible is it to try and effect a change through the Windows path Hot_Key\Local\System\Current Control Set\Control\Class\<CDROMGUID>\Number>\Default DVD Region (binary)? The procedure soundes very complex and if as a rank amateur I stuff it up, I foresee that I might bring the operating system crashing down around my ears - a result I would prefer to avoid.

If we can just expand your compressed files, it may be the answer, but I would like to know re the viability of messing around with registry settings which can be dangerous if, like me, you're not an expert in the area. Thanks, Rod.
                Last edited by roderick; 17 Aug 2004, 12:39 PM.
                Rod

Comment

• decryptit
                  • Jan 2004

You have to extract all files at one and not just 1 each time.

What binaries are you talking about ?
                  Total Number Of Views
                  Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• roderick
                    • Jul 2004

Decryptit, should there be only 1 x decompressed file? I've now managed to extract one file which appears as "rpcde2.exe"and which, when executed, offers the option of enabling or disabling RPC. On executing "disable" and checking with driveinfo.exe, the drive still comes up as having region protection. Because there are 3 parts to the compressed file, I'm wondering whether there should be any other decompressed file or whether the one has just been segmented into 1,2 & 3 *.rar, all parts of the one on decompression.

Re my other question, the drive path indicated is the one which supposedly will effect a firmware change when the registry is modified, but it doesnt specify'what the binaries should be, and I don't want to mess around with it unless I know exactly what I'm doing.

Would be grateful if you can assist, as it may be that if I can effect a Windows Registry change, this will have the same effect as changing the drive chipset might otherwise have.

Thanks, Rod.
                    Rod

Comment

• decryptit
                      • Jan 2004

Put all the rar files in a folder and extract them, only one file will appear then.
                      Total Number Of Views
                      Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• roderick
                        • Jul 2004

Thanks Decryptit, it now appears as a single file entitled "rpcde2.exe" which, when executed, offers the option of disabling RPC. However, Driveinfo.exe still reports the drive as having regional protection. Presumably this will persist unless and until I change either the Windows registry settings or the firmware chipset itself.

Should I pursue the option of Windows Registry changes to effect a permanent change to RPC1 mode? And if possible, how do I go
                        about it?

Thanks, Rod.
                        Rod

Comment

• decryptit
                          • Jan 2004

Before proceeding try playing a region set dvd.
                          Total Number Of Views
                          Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• roderick
                            • Jul 2004

Thanks for the hint, Decryptit. I'll be away with work from today for a fortnight but will send you another post as soon as I return and have a chance to put your advice into practice, Rod.
                            Rod

Comment

Working...