Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatwallet
    • Aug 2004

Sony Dvd Rom DDU1621 & Pioneer DVR-107D

Hi, I would like to make my Sony Dvd Rom DDU1621 into region free, at the moment it is in region 1 with one more change left and if possible the same with the Pioneer. I've also heard you can make upgrades to the drives by flashing them. Could i get some help/advice on this please.

I have never done anything like this before and have mediumish pc ability.

I have heard some tales that if you do it wrong it can kill the drive.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian.

• pickles_daddy
    • Aug 2004

For region free (multiregion) you need to set your DVD to RPC1. Check out http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php for DVD firmware.

Yes, the stories about killing DVD drives with firmware updates is true. I had a DVD-ROM that lasted less than 10 minutes from out of the box. The firmware update was bad (a few years ago mind).

Most of the good updaters have now a true Windows interface (program) with either a step-by-step interface of what to do (big buttons), or a README file.

READ the readme file, it is important. If you are not sure, then call on a friend who has done this before.

BTW, updating a UK DVD to RPC1 normally invalidates the warranty. So, if it does not work, then bin it.

If you are using a Windows DVD player you will need something like DVDGenie as well to stop the player whining about the region not being correct.

Comment

Working...