X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subliminal
    • Jul 2004

Playback problems only on PC

Hey guys,

I have a problem: My PC doesn't like to playback DVDs about 75% of the time. Whether they're originals or backups doesn't seem to matter. It will usually play until a certain point, and then freeze up the entire computer. A reboot and a scene selection will usually get me a little further, but then it will happen again. These discs work fine on my standalone player, so it can't be the discs.

My computer is pretty built, with a gig of mem, winxpprosp2, 2.0 ghz xp chip, nf2 chipset, and I've been using PowerDVD.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
  • ziadost
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

1) download & install "dvd decrypter", and rip the dvd movie to your hard drive.... play with powerdvd... does it play fine?

2) download the latest drivers for your graphics card

3) try another software dvd player (eg. windvd), or get the latest version of powerdvd

good luck
    Last edited by anonymez; 31 Aug 2004, 10:05 AM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To Subliminal

Sounds like your system may be overheating...

Comment

• Subliminal
        • Jul 2004

The system is certainly not overheating, but thanks for the reply!

I ripped a copy of something last night with dvdshrink, and left it on the hd. That seems to play fine. But I also tried to play the disc, and that seemed to play fine too! It's kind of an intermitten problem.

As to the graphics card drivers, I thought that was the problem at one time. I read recently that if a driver is WHQL certified, it has to support dvd playback, so I've been trying to stick the the lastest certified gforce drivers.

I uninstalled powerdvd last night and installed windvd. I tried a few of the discs, and it played one (at least for the few mins that i tested) but wouldn't play another (that my standalone would play fine).

At this point, all I can guess is that the optical drive in my computer is MUCH pickier on playing media than my sony standalone...which makes me a little sad, honestly.

Comment

• Floppy

Try a firmware update for your drive.

Use only official firmware though. Not the patched kind.

let us know!

Comment

Working...