Can I play & convert PAL DVD in my computer?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • obsessed
    • Sep 2004

Can I play & convert PAL DVD in my computer?

I am very new at this and have a question. A friend wants to lend me a PAL DVD and have me convert it to NTSC. Before I even take it to try, can someone tell me if I can do this? Will it play on my United States computer? Is there some setting I have to adjust to get it to play and be saved on my computer? I am assuming that when I do this, all I would have to do then is reauthor it and output it to NTSC before burning, correct? (By the way, it is not dual-layered or encrypted, so that eliminates at least SOME hassles.)
    Thanks for the help.
  • decryptit
    • Jan 2004

Normally a pc with a good software like powerdvd wouldn't have trouble to auto switch pal/ntsc formats.
    Total Number Of Views
    Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• obsessed
      • Sep 2004

Thanks, but I guess what I really mean to ask is, how can I convert it (rip it and convert to ntsc) so that my friend can play it on her DVD player which is not region-free? Is there an easy way to convert it so that you do not lose quality? I understand there is a frame-rate conversion that will have to be made, and also a different picture dimension? Is there anyone who can tell me how to procede?

Comment

• decryptit
        • Jan 2004

You won't need to rip anything your dvd player is supposed to have a menu which gives you the option of selecting the video mode to PAL/NTSC.
        Total Number Of Views
        Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• obsessed
          • Sep 2004

Then why couldn't my friend play it on her DVD player? They aren't all region-free, apparently. Hers only takes ntsc.

Comment

• decryptit
            • Jan 2004

Thw best way to solve this problem is to deregion the whole standalone.
            Total Number Of Views
            Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• obsessed
              • Sep 2004

Forgive my ignorance and "newbie-hood" but what do you mean by "deregion the whole standalone." How do I go about this?

Comment

• decryptit
                • Jan 2004

Since you said the standalone is region protected, it would be a greater idea if you stated the model name of the standalone, and we could help you find a suitable hack to remove the region protection. Deregion is just a way to remove your current region protection and set your player to region ''0" Universal playback (No actual region set)

Region Protected (1-7/9) --> Multi region (0)
                Last edited by decryptit; 9 Sep 2004, 03:20 AM.
                Total Number Of Views
                Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

Working...