No longer able to play DVD's with any software.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lythar
    • Sep 2004

No longer able to play DVD's with any software.

Yesterday I noticed I was no longer able to play any of my DVD's with any software.

For all I know the problem started a week ago since that's about the last time I played a DVD.

When using PowerDVD 5 to play a DVD I get the following error:

Error Code: 80040216
    "Object or name not found."

When using Intervideo WinDVD 5 the movie plays but I have no sound.

When using Windows Media Player (just for the sake of trying more than one player) it just says "Unknown DVD".

I tried re-installing my DVD-Player (AOpen 1648 AAP).
    I ran all firmware updates.
    I re-installed DirectX.
    I re-installed all the Codecs I used.
    I also tried re-installing the aspi file as mentioned in Eclipse's post.

If anyone has any other ideas on how to fix this problem i would be most thankful.

Please note that re-installing my OS would be the last option possible .
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If your O/S is WinXP, simply perform a "System Restore" back to the last time things were working properly...

Comment

• Lythar
      • Sep 2004

Aye that would've been a good option were it not that I had a virus in my system volume information folder (the one where all the info for system restore is kept) and had to delete it.

I then disabled system restore to check if any other files were infected but didn't turn it on again. So now I don't have a point to restore too. What are the odds eh?

Anyway thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep checking this forum and I'm gonna try and find a list of needed files to play DVDs, maybe I'm missing one.

Comment

• chriswilby
        • Sep 2004

DVD playback

Hi,
        I use WINDVD4, and everything worked fine.
        I upgraded to XP and also upgraded the GEFORCE 2 driver.

I get the same problem on playback, can't see it, can hear it and do screen capture.

I removed the twinview option, i.e. just set to one screen and it now works.

So for now I am playing the DVDs on my computer.

So I think the problem is around video drivers.

Comment

• chriswilby
          • Sep 2004

I also found a patch to XP SP1 to solve this problem.
          You need to look around Windows support.

I uploaded the patch and it made no difference, when set on twin view.

If you get twin view working, post your solution.
          thanks

Comment

• msandi
            • Sep 2004

I am having a similar problem

I am running Win2000 I have a Pioneer DVD-106S

I also have reinstalled codecs, firmware and drivers.

When I put a Video DVD in the DVD drive, it sits in the drive for a few seconds, then ejects itself.

My DVD playback program doesn't even see it.

I have never played a DVD in it before so I don't know if it ever worked right in the first place.

I even tried uninstalling the DVD and rebooting, but that didn't matter either.

Comment

• Tweeky D
              • Apr 2005

error: 80040216

Hi Lythar,

I have had this error for about a month. I came to this post, and got some clues as to the fix: this worked on my machine ( XP sp2. prescott 3.2Ghz. GF4 4200Ti.)

I had installed NVidia driver 71.84 BETA around a month or 2 ago and then the WHQL version 2 weeks ago. As this is the only change I could suspect I ran the 'update driver' and chose to pick my own driver, and pointed the wizard to my stored 66.93 WHQL. This has cured my error on playing DVDs with PowerDVD 5. I cannot say for sure if the driver is the source of the prob, but this has fixed it for me.

I think it has to do with multi monitor function, as the latest NV drivers seem to cause another prob:,,, When right clicking a .wmv or .mpg file the monitor 'pauses'... this is easily fixed though: use a good reg editor (i like registrar lite!) search for 'playonmytv' you should come up with 3 or 4 entries... delete them all... fixed!

Hope any of this helps you... if not please re-post giving your full system spec and I will troubleshoot as much as I can

Comment

• onarock
                • Sep 2007

did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Originally Posted by Lythar
                Yesterday I noticed I was no longer able to play any of my DVD's with any software.

For all I know the problem started a week ago since that's about the last time I played a DVD.

When using PowerDVD 5 to play a DVD I get the following error:

Error Code: 80040216
                "Object or name not found."

When using Intervideo WinDVD 5 the movie plays but I have no sound.

When using Windows Media Player (just for the sake of trying more than one player) it just says "Unknown DVD".

I tried re-installing my DVD-Player (AOpen 1648 AAP).
                I ran all firmware updates.
                I re-installed DirectX.
                I re-installed all the Codecs I used.
                I also tried re-installing the aspi file as mentioned in Eclipse's post.

If anyone has any other ideas on how to fix this problem i would be most thankful.

Please note that re-installing my OS would be the last option possible .

All of a sudden I can't watch video with powerdvd 5 as well. I tried everything that i could think of ...windows media...won't work now either. I have norton go back and reverted my drive to when it was working...no go. Did u ever fix this??? If so, HOW??

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

What's the error that PowerDVD gives you?
                  Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• squeeky71
                    • Sep 2007

Originally Posted by onarock
                    All of a sudden I can't watch video with powerdvd 5 as well. I tried everything that i could think of ...windows media...won't work now either. I have norton go back and reverted my drive to when it was working...no go. Did u ever fix this??? If so, HOW??
                    i have the same prob. and i have done every thing to but the video drivers how do i get them

Comment

Working...