Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leggmason2003
    • Oct 2004

Pioneer Drive\DVD Shrink issue...

Hi there, I seem to be having a problem with one of my DVD drives.

I have on DVD Burner (Pioneer DVD-106D, flashed to Gradius v1.08 (RPC-1 + unlock ripping speed only) and a DVD ROM (LiteOn LTD 163, unchanged factory firmware). The Pioneer is region 'ALL' according to DVDInfoPro, while the LiteOn is set to region 1.

Nero 5.5.10.42 is installed. The Pioneer burner burns just fine.

Now, I was trying to make a backup of a movie (The Train, 1964 - Burt Lancaster).

When I place this DVD into the LiteOn, no problems at all under DVDShrink. Decrypts, analyizes, encodes - all just fine.

But when I load the DVD into the Pioneer drive, I get the following error:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Copy protection error.
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O error.

Yes, I know - a common one.

Now this is clearly a drive issue as my setup works perfectly except when I call upon DVD Shrink to read a DVD using the Pioneer drive.

Also, I should say that using DVD Decrypter with my Pioneer drive WORKS perfectly (decrypts, reads, outputs files - no problem).

So the long and the short of it is that DVD Shrink does not play nice with my Pioneer drive.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can remedy this? I would of liked to have use of both DVD drives for ripping at the same time. So this not a "major" problem, but it would be helpful to get it solved.

Regards
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"The Pioneer is region 'ALL'"

The DVD you're trying to copy probably is a Region 1 DVD with additional "RCE" protection - which specifically precludes the ability to playback on "region free" or "Region 0" players...

Comment

• leggmason2003
      • Oct 2004

Thanks for the response....

As it turns out, I was apparently trying to do something I could not do. When I was coming up with the error I described, I was in the process of ripping another DVD (on the LiteOn unit). Looks like I can't rip from two DVDs at the same time on my PC, because when I finished ripping on LiteOn unit, I then tried out ripping on the Pioneer drive (with the aforementioned The Train DVD), and it WORKED!

So, does this indicate that one cannot rip on two DVD units, simultaneously, on one PC? Or is it because both units are on the same IDE (secondary) channel? Will putting each drive on separate IDE channels help?

That's the only thing I can think of.

Regards

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Or is it because both units are on the same IDE (secondary) channel?"

Probably

"Will putting each drive on separate IDE channels help?"

Probably

BUT

Considering how little time is involved in ripping a DVD, I'd suggest you simply rip one at a time...

Comment

• leggmason2003
          • Oct 2004

Thats true, ripping is quick, but if you have to encorde (shrink), that isn't so quick. Hence the desire to have two running at the same time.

No big deal. I actually have a laptop I can do the ripping from as well.

Comment

Working...