Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swankydan
    • Oct 2004

pc dvd problems - HELP!

Ok, So I offered to help my Girlfriend fix her DVD Rom Drive on her PC Laptop. Discs kept skipping I realised that it was the media player so installed a new one.

I tested a couple of DVDs including one of mine (Region 2) on (This changed the Region Code from 1 to 2) And now it won''t change back. Apparently you can only change it several times and the counter is now on Nought. Windows insists that it won't make a jot of difference if I reinstall windows - which I don't fancy doing anyway!

I am sure this is a tired old subject but please someone tell me there is a way of getting round this.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"please someone tell me there is a way of getting round this."

As far as I know, nope. Once you've used up the changes, that's it. You probably should have looked for "region free" software before this happened (I know this is "20-20 hindsight"). It would seem that your girlfriend now has a permanent Region 2 DVD player...

Just for the heck of it, you might want to hunt down (Do a Googlesearch for) and try one of the "region free" programs...

Comment

• swankydan
      • Oct 2004

Well I spent a large amount of yesterday googling and I came up with a few options:

1. Flash the Firmware of the DVD drive with a fix that turns the counter off. This looks rather tricky for a novice and potentially fatal to the drive if I do it wrong.

2. Many of the other websites pointed to a software program that would override the 0 counter (or ignore it -whatever) and play any dvd. It is not a media player as such but works in the background of any player, e.g Power DVD or Windows Media player. I trialled the thirty day version last night and works like a champ but the only problem is the cost - $40.

3. Come to think of it there isn't a third as yet, but perhaps there is a free downloadable version of this software?

Comment

• joegib
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Dec 2001

You could try Remote Selector available here:

This was originally shareware but is now freeware.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"the only problem is the cost - $40"

I don't think your girlfriend will mind if YOU spent $40 to make HER laptop PC complete once again ;>}

Comment

Working...