Jumpy, Moving picture on backup

I've burned my first backup finally. My associated computer equipment is:

Lite-On DVD-ROM
    NEC-ND3500A DVD+/-R(W)
    DVD Decrypter
    DVD Shrink
    Roxio Easy Media Creator
    Prodisc Silver 4X DVD-R

I ripped the movie from my DVD-ROM drive to my external hard drive using DVD Decrypter.

I opened the files up using DVD Shrink and copied over the Dolby Digital 5.1 and Main Movie files only in ReAuthor mode. This resulted in a total file size of 4.055GB so I selected "No Compression" and saved this version to my hard drive.

I then burned from my hard drive to the NEC 3500 on the ProDisc media at a speed of 4X (the media's max).

Once everything was completed I popped the disc into the Lite-On and played a few scenes on my PC with WMP. Everything looked and sounded fine.

It wasn't until I popped into into my home theater system that a problem crept up. My home theater gear consists of:

Mitsubishi WS-55411 HDTV
    Denon DVD-2900
    Rotel RSP-1066 Preamp/Processor

I dropped the disc into the Denon and it loaded like normal. The Rotel picked up the Dolby Digital track immediately and the movie (EuroTrip) started.

During scenes where the camera is stationary and there is a horizontal object going across the screen (a building's rooftop for example) the picture shifts about a half-inch up and down compared to the top of the screen. This is not evident on the original.

I'm thinking it's because I burned the backup at the limit of the media and that perhaps a slower speed would produce a better result. Then again I'm completely new to this and it was my first time.

Any clue as to what it could be?

Bill
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"During scenes where the camera is stationary and there is a horizontal object going across the screen (a building's rooftop for example) the picture shifts about a half-inch up and down compared to the top of the screen."

Did these SPECIFIC scenes playback properly on your PC from the BURNED disc?

If so, it's most likely that your Denon doesn't "like" the brand of media you are using. To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Comment

• wgb113
      • Nov 2004

setarip,

I didn't pick it up initially when I played it on my PC, likely due to it's small 15" screen size.

I looked at it again last night on the PC and it was in fact doing the same thing.

I burned the same movie at 2X on the same media with the same result.

Bill

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

1) Does the ORIGINAL, COMMERCIAL DVD, exhibit the same behaviour - on either your standalone DVD player or your PC?

2) Does the DVD Decrypter-ripped hard drive version exhibit the same behaviour on your PC?

Comment

• wgb113
          • Nov 2004

1) Not that I noticed, I'll have to get it back from my neighbor.

2) Yes.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Chances are, since the DVD Decrypter harddrive version exhibits this behaviour, you'll see the same problem with the original...

"Not that I noticed, I'll have to get it back from my neighbor."

Is it yours or your neighbor's?

Comment

• wgb113
              • Nov 2004

Interesting observation about the Decrypted version.

The original is mine but my neighbor often borrows my DVDs to watch. I often feel like I'm his Blockbuster. I'll see him tonight and hopefully he's watched it by now.

I'll keep you posted.

Bill

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"The original is mine but my neighbor often borrows my DVDs to watch."

Gutsy on your part. It would be much wiser to lend your neighbor the COPY ("jumping" notwithstanding). After all, the reason you're making a backup is to preserve the integrity of the original...

Comment

• wgb113
                  • Nov 2004

Gutsy on your part. It would be much wiser to lend your neighbor the COPY ("jumping" notwithstanding). After all, the reason you're making a backup is to preserve the integrity of the original...
                  That's one of the reasons for making the backups, as this was my first I didn't want to make him my "guinea pig"...

Comment

Working...