• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johne88
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jul 2004

Not the Right region message...

Just started today on my stand alone panasonic HT 800V..it doesn't matter what dvd I put in the drive...wether it is a backup or a bought dvd..I get a message stating cannot play the wrong region..region 1...I am in the US...I cannot figure this out...the dvd drive will play no dvd's at this point....

any answers or suggestion would be great..Thanks all!!

johne88
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Is there maybe a setting on the DVD player to set the region code?

If not, I would take it back and exchange it or get my money back.

Comment

• johne88
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Jul 2004

there is not a region setting that I can find...and I bought this unit in Dec 2003...soo I am screwed..I call CS...I reset the memory on the unit and I am still getting the same message.

Comment

• 1GKar
        • May 2002

From what little I understand regarding stand alone units (and that's a real small amount as I use HTPC) is there a master reset or initialisation code you can programme into the unit to reset it?

If not, I believe a serviceman can perform this function or something similar as I have read about early player's region codes being reset after the number of times they were changed had runout.

Or is that what you mean by a memory reset?
        Last edited by 1GKar; 25 Jan 2005, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Jillolli
          • Feb 2005

John,

The same thing just started happening to me this morning. I also purchased my SC-HT800V December 2003. I had a problem with one DVD showing LOCKED on the display and I was trying to 'unlock' it. I started clicking around and then gave up. Put a copied DVD in for my daughter and I received the message 'Disk may not play in your region'. Tried another and the same. Pulled out her originals thinking it might be something with the copy and they are the same. Every Dvd I try!!.

Called Panasonic and they "can't help". Recommended a service store an hour away. Just to look at it will be $40. So...Please tell me that you have figured out a solution. I have been searching the net for 11 hours and you are the closest thing to an answer I have found.

My thought is that Panasonic placed a time bomb in the units to go off one month after warranty ends Does seem an odd coincidence that both of our happened at the same time.

Jillian

Comment

• jmet
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2002

Multi format DVD players are relatively cheap these days. Here are two at Best Buy for under $40. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=47053

(Multi Format = Will play both - and + disc)

Comment

• Jillolli
              • Feb 2005

I have purchased 'cheap' Dvd players as back up and they just do not compare. (I have seen them as low as $29 at Walmart) This is a DVD/VCR Home Theater Sound System. Sure, at $300 its no were near top of the line but it has played disks with scratches that my other players could not.

I figure if it happened to me and to others maybe its not something I did but a problem in their firmware or something. And if it is something I did then there must be a way to undo it.

Thanks for the tip, anyways

Jillian

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

As a last resort, try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your player. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...
                Last edited by setarip; 23 Feb 2005, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Jillolli
                  • Feb 2005

I have a laser cleaner and I had tried cleaning, resetting the whole system to factory, praying calling panasonic and then searching the net for answers. Now I am looking on Ebay hoping to get one cheap enough, figure I don't need the subwoofer and speakers and even if the case is shot I can just remove and install the DVD.

Thanks for all your help anyways!

Jillian

Comment

Working...