Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suzy456
    • Mar 2004

dvd on hard disk plays jerky

I am having a problem playing DVD's from my hard drive either as iso or vobs. Since using XP i have had this problem.

There are 2 problems:

1. Playback is jerky when playing iso, vob files or entire dvd which has been copied to the hard drive. Playback from one of my dvd drives is much better but jerks a tiny bit.

2. I have 2 DVD drives, and old creative which only plays OK but only originals, and a new emprex DVD burner which plays all media jerky.

DMA is enabled, Power DVD has hardware accelaration enabled, I have the lates NVIDIA geforce MX440 drivers so I dont know what else to try.

One thing I should mention is that I have 2 hard disks. The C drive is only about 8gig and is always running low on space (has 250mb free). The D drive is 120 gig and that is where my dvds are stored. Could this be the problem or could it be to do with Windows XP?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

• jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

******** I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU REBOOT AND EXIT ALL UNNEEDED PROGRAMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING A BACKUP, PLAYBACK, OR BURNING!!! (Right click all of the unneeded icons beside your computers clock area and then left click on exit.)********

{And you can always get the icons back by rebooting again or starting the programs again}

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"Playback is jerky when playing iso, vob files or entire dvd which has been copied to the hard drive."

Try defragmenting your hard drive(s).

"a new emprex DVD burner which plays all media jerky."

Go to the manufacturer's website and see if there's a firmware update available...

(You might consider replacing your TINY C:\ drive)

Comment

• scooter1556
        • Feb 2005

jerky plaback

Some of the problem could be with your RAM or processor power. If these are not powerful enough to process and store data from the hard drive as quickly as the program needs them the play will skip and become jerky. It could also be the speed of your c drive. 250mb is about the limit that you can fill a drive without it going mad. DVD plaback on a computer is never smooth and you will always get some jerkiness, it often depends on the type of film you watch, but i would sugest deleting any unnecesary files and programs off of your c drive (or replacing it) and making sure it is free of viruses. Defragmenting the c drive will help also by clicking on the c drive and properties, than to tools.(sorry if you knew that anyway!!!!!!!) The jerkiness from your DVD Writer is probably due to the same thing. The DVD has to pass through the processor and if it isn't good enough to take the amount of data going into it, the playback will be jerky!!

Comment

• sfheath
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Sep 2003

XP is a huge improvement over Win98SE but if you're short of space and/or memory you will hit these 'bottlenecks'
          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• suzy456
            • Mar 2004

Thank you to everyone who replied.

I defragmented the D drive and playback is still jerky but I think I know why. The playback is only jerky when I play a file using deamon tools as a virtual drive! I guess my PC isn't fast enough!

I started using deamon tools just after I upgraded to XP which is why I thought XP was the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• sfheath
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Sep 2003

Re: dvd on hard disk plays jerky

Originally posted by suzy456
              I am having a problem playing DVD's from my hard drive either as iso or vobs.
              If you use WinDVD/PowerDVDs 'play from folder' on hard drive VOB folders you should get good quality - this is the way most of us check for poor 'shrinks' and the like.

Good luck!
              This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"I am having a problem playing DVD's from my hard drive either as iso or vobs."

"The playback is only jerky when I play a file using deamon tools as a virtual drive!"

Certainly, you're not using DaemonTools to playback (full DVD "packages" of .IFOs, .BUPs, .VOBs) .VOBs, are you?

Comment

• suzy456
                  • Mar 2004

I just tested a different movie, one with fast action and the playback IS jerky when playing the VOBS in powerdvd, but it is much worse when using deamon tools to play an iso.

When I tried it out 2 days ago I used a low action film which is why is wrote that playing the vobs was ok ( which surprised me).

I know its confusing, but I do appreciate all your help.

Comment

• Weezer
                    • Apr 2005

Does the Emprex burner play without jerking anymore? Cos I've got one and I've not got it to work yet without jerking. It jerks really badly in Windows DVD player and in PowerDVD it jerks and stops before telling me that the discs are dirty or scratched which isn't true as they work fine on other PC's and DVD players. My system is Win2000, Athlon XP 2400+, 512Mb ram, GeForce FX5200. I've not tried burning with it yet as I reckon playaback should be the "easier" task. I think I've got the latest firmware update (well I did when I first installed it a month ago) and I've tried different drivers that Windows has suggested, and enabled DMA as suggested by a magazine.

Comment

Working...