Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antonini
    • Mar 2005

picture breaking up

Hi.....I am fairly new to all this and have a problem with playback of burnt DVD`s on a stand alone DVD player. The films play perfectly on the PC and also in a PS2 but in oneof my DVD player picture is made up of reds and greens and in the other the picture is near perfect except for either single or blocks/lines of black pixels appearing on the screen from time to time.
    I have tried them in a couple of other DVD players and the same thing happens.
    I am using DVD-R`s but have also tried some more expensive DVR+R`s.......still the same problem!! I am using WINAVI to convert the film from AVI to DVD and then Nero 6(tried 6 and also Ultra) to burn(tried both DVD and ISO formats). I am copying all the VOB files etc over to the TS_VIDEO file folder and everything seems to go just fine. I have no other programs etc open at the time of either converting or burning.
    If I burn an MPG film onto CD and play it on the stand alone...its great!
    Please help as it is doing my head in now...........I have a copy that a friend did ages ago which plays ok on both DVD players but only in black and white on the PS2...............don`t know what I`m doing wrong......tried everything

Thanks for your help
    Toni
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

if the discs play well in the pc and ps2, the discs must be ok. what speed were these burned at? try to lower burn speed (4x or lower) also, the discs might be uncompatible media for your standalone dvd player(s). have a gander in this forum for dvd and media compatibility .
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• antonini
      • Mar 2005

hi there.............the discs were burned at 2x..............I`ve tried DVD-R, DVD+R..........we`ve tried them on 3 DVD players now.....all having the same problem. The black pixels do not occur all the time.......the film is ok for the first 5 minutes or so.........then one or two small squares.........then large line or two across the screen........then nothing for a bit........then 40% of the screen and so on. Seems to be in exactly the same places whichever player they are in........I`ve thrown so many discs away thinking it was a converting or burning problem.........

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

what brand of disc are you using? what kind of players do you use, and have you looked at the compatibility lists?
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

If your backup freezes, stutters, skips, or has some pixelation, it is more than likely due to poor quality media being used. Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips toward the end of the movie. The two main things to consider first are:
          • Is it cheap media that you are using? (ie. some off brand you bought at a local computer store/fair, even a store like Circuit City or Best Buy sells cheap low quality media.)
          • How fast are you burning? - Burn no faster than 4X, might have to go down to 2X with really cheap media.

Also, are you using adhesive labels on your back ups? If so, try removing the labels (if you can) and playing them again. Go here for more info on why not to use labels. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=28604

You can go here for some other possible solutions: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44912

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

to jmet

"Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips toward the end of the movie"

that is SOOO true, when i first started all this dvd business, i bought some "generic" brand media and all they would do is skip at the last 20 or 30 minutes no matter the burn speed. every one! then trying quality media, never had a problem since...i made sure i smashed those bad discs good
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• antonini
              • Mar 2005

thanks for all your help guys...........I`ve sussed it out now........have used a different program to convert the avi files instead of winavi............DVD`s come out a treat now...........just takes more time thats all........
              cheers
              Toni

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

glad to hear it, keep away from winavi, it might very well be the crappiest program out there for encoding in terms of quality. i spit on winavi.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...