Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vehemence
    • May 2005

region free pioneer dvd-106

hi, i have a region free pioneer dvd-106 drive, bought it from overclockers.co.uk a few years ago and it was already region cracked. i have used it region free (with dvd genie) for the past 3 years ok, however of late windows has decided to lock it to region 1, which is very annoying for someone living in the uk like myself.

the worst thing is, it won't even read half my region 1 dvds, let alone any of my region 2 ones, and keeps ejecting them after about 30 seconds. in fact, the only video dvds i've been able to play on my pc of late have been jay and silent bob strike back and aqua teen hunger force. the windows system page for the dvd drive says it has one region change left, but it won't let me change. i know it's not a hardware limit to the number of changes because i've changed it many many times before with absolutely no problem.

so, does anyone know why it might behave in this way? is there anything i can do to cure it? i have tried a few different software packages, and even reinstalled windows (though for other reasons), but nothing seems to work. any advice would be much appreciated.

i use windows 2000 sp4, and usually play dvds on either windvd 6 platinum, windvd 4, VLC or media player classic.

many thanks,
    monty.
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Hi and welcome to the forum, vehemence!

DVD Genie should work out very well with a regionfree firmware. It does so on my PC.

Try to flash it with the latest region free firmware ver 1.22

Comment

• vehemence
      • May 2005

thanks for the quick answer! i have upgraded the firmware using the utilities from the link provided, all went smoothly. unfortunately, windows still thinks the drive is region 1, even after resetting the 2k region key to region 0 using dvdgenie. i have also tried the trial version of dvd region free, which doesn't seem to help. i can now play some dvds, i think select region 1 titles and region 0, but some region 1 and all region 2 titles are ejected after about 30 seconds still. any suggestions?

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Could try this one. Just remember that you can't use DVD Decrypter at the same time and that some region code ARccOS protected DVDs will not be ripped with this program. It's freeware and you find a description here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=50626

Comment

Working...