Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • desperatos
    • Jul 2005

dvd playback - sound and video stutters and pauzes

Let me assure you, I've been browsing these forums for a long time searching for a solution. But now, you guys (and girls - I wonder) are my last resort. The problem is that when I enabled 5.1 for my dvd playback, the sound began to stutter and pauze in regular intervals (which immediately made me disthrust my thrusty toshiba dvd-rom SD-M1502 AND Sony dvd rw DRU-530A) This happens with all my dvd's. I've also tried playing Shaun of the dead, which I copied on my hard disk. That seems to work fine. I've tried everything:

- disabling applications, wmi, ...
    - enabling dma (which apparently was already enabled)
    - using different players (in media player classic - the audio works but the video stutters, also the codec indicates that there's a delay between audio and video)
    - enabling software decoded 3 channels + 2
    - lowering bitrate
    - switching Dvd rom drives (the sony dvd-rw causes even more problems)

My specs are:

(as you can see, no, my specs aren't the problem)

AMD 2 Ghz (pro3400A+)
    512 mb ram
    Sapphire Ati Radeon 9600 256mb Ram
    Sb Audigy 2 ZS
    Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers
    Maxtor 5T030H3 20gb (8gb free)
    Maxtor 6Y120P0 120gb (10gb free)
    toshiba dvd-rom SD-M1502
    Sony dvd rw DRU-530A
    Last edited by desperatos; 14 Jul 2005, 08:24 AM.
  • nige
    • Aug 2005

I have similar problems, not tried this links solution yet.

Comment

• thinkbolt
      • Aug 2005

Since re-installing Windows 2000 a few weeks ago, I get terrible stuttering when playing DVDs (but not video files). I upgraded to the latest firmware for my TDK 440N, and the stuttering got WORSE. The file you referenced said the following:

>>ATI chipset cards with OSD on causes DVD playing to stutter like carzy<<

I do indeed have an ATI video card. What is OSD and how do I change it?
      - Keith

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

does this only happen when you play directly from the disc? try decrypting to your hard disk, then play it. does it stutter?

are you completely certain DMA is enabled? (should be "ultra dma mode 2" for cd/dvd drives)

Make sure you can answer yes to all the following questions, as they are necessary for good performance

have you got a dvd codec installed (such as nvidia dvd decoder, powerdvd, windvd5)? got decent graphics card drivers (i'm currently on catalyst 5.6)? got latest directx? latest motherboard IDE drivers? latest sound drivers?
        Last edited by anonymez; 26 Aug 2005, 11:26 AM.
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• thinkbolt
          • Aug 2005

Thanks. It was the stupid DMA setting. For some reason, it was activated for my 3 hard drives but not the DVD drive.

An item of interest for other readers: the DMA (Direct Memory Access) settings were NOT listed on the properties for my DVD drive (or my hard drives either). They were on the properties windows for my IDE controllers (find them listed on the Device Manager).

- Keith

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

glad to be of help
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...