Will DVD drive play at all without a decoder?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexChicago
    • Jul 2005

Will DVD drive play at all without a decoder?

I've been dealing with a problem with my DVD playing capabilities for a long time now, and I still can't find the cause. I insert a movie into the drive and hit play. The disc plays for a few seconds as well as the sound, but then the image becomes blurry and video stops, but the sound continues for a little bit. I get no error messages to go by, so I don't know if I don't have a decoder.
    So my question is, will the movie play at all without a decoder?
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

does your system meet requirements for dvd playback? i suggest power dvd and its player(or similar) to playback commercial discs
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• AlexChicago
      • Jul 2005

It has around 130 MB RAM, Pentium 3, Like 27 Gigs of hard drive. At first I thought the RAM memory wasn't enough, but then I saw that DVD player software requires around 30 MB.
      I don't want to spend over $50 on a program to later realize that it doesn;t solve the problem. That's why I need to know if it will play at all without the decoder.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

that is a MINIMUM requirement for the software (which type is it?). i have 512mb ram and sometimes mine gets choppy when i multitask. you need to beef up your system to get any decent playback of dvd's
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

what speed is your P lll and what video card do you have

Comment

• AlexChicago
            • Jul 2005

I don't have the computer next to me right now. But I called home and tried to guide my sister through the ways of getting this info, and she couldn't find the speed. I'm guessing it's around 1.5Ghz and the name for the video card she gave me was Nvidia Reva TNT. Hope this helps.
            The program I'm using to try to watch movies is InterActual.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"I don't want to spend over $50 on a program"

Download and install the FREEWARE VideoLAN ("VLC") player...

Comment

Working...