Question about playback problems (long...)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

@DJJeffMlls - get an 80 wire IDE cable. As in the picture, the blue connector goes to the MB, master(black) is at the end and slave(grey) is in the middle. Also some devices work better when in CS (cable select). If normal setting to master/slave does not work use CS.

Comment

• DJJeffMills
      • Oct 2005

Question about playback problems (long...) **MINOR UPDATE PG2

Originally Posted by jmet
      Check your DMA settings - How ? do this -> Go to Control Panel> System> Hardware Tab> Device Manager> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers> Right Click Primary IDE channel (and Secondary IDE channel after you finish with Primary)> Properties> Advanced Settings Tab> Transfer Mode or go here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616
      MINOR UPDATE

Alright.....I went to a webpage that was linked in the first reply to this thread, and from THAT page i clicked on ANOTHER link (follow me ?), and went to a page and found THIS info:

Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor
      My thanks go to my fellow MVP Alexander Grigoriev who taught me this method.
      Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11C
      E-BFC1-08002BE10318}
      It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE
      channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain
      circumstances. Check the DriverDesc value to see which one it is.
      Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the
      device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually
      hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.
      Open Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using
      DMA mode. If so, congratulations, you've made it (at least until the next
      time Windows disables DMA).

...which I did

so NOW my "Secondary IDE CHannel Properties" looks like this:

iunno why i can't get it to 5 (versus 2 <-- what i'm at now)

I'll see if that fixes the prob *shrug*

I'd like to thank everybody who's replied to this thread. They're extremely knowledgeable on this type of stuff...

- Jeff

EDIT: I will try other things suggested (upgrading firmware, trying to watch a DVD using Media Player Classic, etc.) and keep you all informed...because i'm sure you're on the edge of your seat
      Last edited by DJJeffMills; 27 Oct 2005, 08:34 AM. Reason: Had an update I wanted to let others know about on the 2nd page. :)

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

its definitely an improvement over PIO

but i think the reason why it won't go to 5 is because the IDE cable being used doesn't support it. get an 80-pin cable for your hard disk (only cost like $2), and use the one you already have for your dvd drive. follow the instructions in my previous post, trust me, you will see a HUGE increase in performance on your PC!
        Last edited by anonymez; 27 Oct 2005, 09:10 AM.
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• DJJeffMills
          • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by anonymez
          its definitely an improvement over PIO

but i think the reason why it won't go to 5 is because the IDE cable being used doesn't support it. get an 80-pin cable for your hard disk (only cost like $2), and use the one you already have for your dvd drive. follow the instructions in my previous post, trust me, you will see a HUGE increase in performance on your PC!
          I'll do that in the coming days when I have more time, but just so I have it correct:

^^ is that BASICALLY what I have to do?
          - unplug existing flatcable that runs between the HD & DVD-ROM
          - buy ANOTHER flatcable
          - connect the DVD-ROM (Secondary/IDE2) and HD (Primary/IDE1) into MOBO in aforementioned slot "names"/positions (in parentheses)

**I'll follow the link in the above post with the pics**

-Jeff
          Last edited by DJJeffMills; 27 Oct 2005, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

yep ,thats right. good diagram

but, make sure you set the pins on the back of your hard disk and dvd drive to 'master'. the instructions should be on the actual drives themselves, or you can check the manual, or search LG's/hard disk manufacturer's site for instructions. it may sound complicated, but is really easy
            Last edited by anonymez; 27 Oct 2005, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• DJJeffMills
              • Oct 2005

okay i think i know what you're talking about (i installed an HP cd-writer on my old computer about 3-4 years ago and i vaguely remember messin about in the tower)

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

let us know how it goes

Comment

Working...