Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

why are you using nlite? windows components are fine, they won't interfere...

windows media player is fine to install
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Makubex_GB
      Different
      • Oct 2005

Just not to have unnecessary stuff. I never use Windows Media Player, even less when I have Media Player Classic. I also read somewhere that WMP can change or add to your codecs, something like that.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by Makubex_GB
        I also read somewhere that WMP can change or add to your codecs, something like that.
        not really. if in doubt, disable the 'download codecs automatically' in its options.

its up to you, but i personally would leave well enough alone. the only thing i would get rid of in win xp (sp2) would be their 'security center' and its feeble attempt at a firewall. even that can be disabled in less than a minute. other than that, none of their software has gotten in my way. the only benefit of uninstalling windows components would be saving a little hard disk space, which is negligible with todays' sizes and prices...

just my opinion

Comment

• Makubex_GB
          Different
          • Oct 2005

True True. As for Windows Security Center, I always have everything disabled. I agree that the only reason I might try nlite is to save disk space and boot time. But I might not go through the trouble of nlite and just install Windows normally.

I'm nearly finished backing up my stuff. I want to finish everything tonight cuz I want to leave my PC up and ready for tomorrow. I've gots lots of programming to do before Monday.

Comment

• Makubex_GB
            Different
            • Oct 2005

Well, I formatted all 3 of my hard drives, re-installed Windows and boom! Problem solved. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

you're very welcome!

now just don't install any shady codecs or codec packs without asking here first

Comment

• Makubex_GB
                Different
                • Oct 2005

Will do. Up till now I've only installed the codecs you told me about .

Comment

• daemonic
                  • Nov 2005

I tried the WinDVD 7 Trial version a few months back and I liked it, so I bought the Platinum version yesterday. I installed it, Activate it and then when I try to open the program it does nothing! The sand clock icon (the one that appears when your PC is loading something) appears for like a fraction of a second and that's it, nothing else happens. If I put a DVD in it does the same thing, it just won't play it. I tried uninstalling it, cleaning my registry but no go. I'm very close to re-installing Windows, but I would like to solve the problem without having to do so.
                  I've read about other people having the same problem, but no one has the solution.
                  I already sent the inquiry to Intervideo by using their Tech Support Request form. As soon as I get a reply I'll post it.
                  If anyone has any suggestions, please post them.
                  Well, I found this thread through a google search, because I have the *exact* same problem. I don't have enough posts to send a private mail, so I have to post my question...

Did this get resolved by tech support? I also already paid for WinDVD 7, so I would just like it to work again (I like it better than the freebies, or PowerDVD). I had this issue before and couldn't solve it via any registry fix, uninstall, etc. Other versions of WinDVD still work though. I started with a fresh windows build and figured I'll just be more careful with what I install. However, between two days ago (when it worked) and yesterday (when it stopped working), I made no changes, and it happened again. System restore does not work. I'm stumped and frustrated, so I'm hoping to leverage anyone else's experience with this issue....

Thanks!

Comment

• Makubex_GB
                    Different
                    • Oct 2005

Something similar happened to me after I started with a fresh install of Windows. What I did was after I formatted and re-installed Windows XP the first thing I installed was WinDVD 7 Platinum. Then when installing every other application I needed I would check if WinDVD still worked right after I installed the application. Everything worked fine at first, WinDVD never failed after installing the important applications. So after a few days I installed some stuff (not even thinking it would conflict with WinDVD) and then when I tried to use WinDVD I got the same problem back! So I started uninstalling everything I recently installed (including Windows Updates and Hotfixes). After uninstalling a few applications and Hotfixes WinDVD started working again, so I began installing everything back and checking after each install if WinDVD was working to see what was conflicting. I thought it was one of Windows' Hotfixes, so I started with those. After installing all of Windows critical updates WinDVD was still working fine, so I started to install other software updates and some applications but I forgot to do it one by one and check WinDVD after each install. After I finished installing those things WinDVD wouldn't work again. So I uninstalled everything again until WinDVD worked. Then I went back to the Microsoft Update page and just installed all the critical updates (all at once cuz I knew those weren't the problem) but didn't install any of the 5 software updates left to install (since I didn't need or used them and probably one of them was the one conflicting with WinDVD). Besides re-installing Microsoft's Critical Updates for Windows I also re-installed some of the applications I had recently installed except one, because it was one of the things I installed right before WinDVD choked and I didn't want to have to uninstalled it again (plus it wasn't an important app). That application was Cablenut 408. The 5 Microsoft Windows XP software updates I left uninstalled were:

1. Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)

2. Windows Media Player 10

3. Update for Windows XP (KB900930)

4. Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1
                    <label for="ckDecl0"> </label>
                    5. Update for Windows XP HighMAT Support in CD Writing Wizard (KB831240)

I don't think Media Player 10 is the problem but I didn't want to install it anyway (even if I didn't have WinDVD), simply because I don't use it. So in the end the software I didn't install was Cablenut 408 and those 5 updates I just listed up there. Oh, and I only installed the codecs
                    anonymez recommended I few posts back (although I uninstalled the Nvidia purevideo codec later on, not that it was causing any problems) and an MPC (MusePack) plugin for Winamp (the musepack plugin is so I could listen to some music I have encoded in that format, no need to install if you don't have anything encoded in that format). Up till now WinDVD 7 Platinum has been working splendidly.

In case we have some hardware in common and you wanna ask me what drivers am I using or something, I gonna write down the specs of my PC for you:

Monitor: NEC/MITSUBISHI FE991SB-BK 19" Diamondtron CRT Monitor

Fan Controller: Super Flower Fan Master 4 Port Fan Controller

Motherboard: Asus P5AD2 Premium Wireless Edition Motherboard

Power Supply: Antec NeoPower 480W PSU

Processor: Pentium 4 LGA 775 3.2GHz

Memory: 2GB (4x512) Corsair XMS2 PC2-5400 DDR2 675MHz

Sound Card: Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

Video Card: ATI Radeon X850 XT PCI-E

Hard Drives: 2x 74GB 10000RPM Western Digital Raptor in RAID 0
                    1x 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N

Optical Drive: NEC ND-3500A 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW

Keyboard: Logitech Elite Keyboard

Mouse: Logitech MX510 Optical Mouse

Power Protection: BELKIN Universal Series 1200VA UPS-Serial & USB, Battery Back-Up

Printer/Scanner/Coppier: Lexmark P6250 All-In-One Home Photo Center

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

• daemonic
                      • Nov 2005

Let me ask this: Did WinDVD7 allow you to enter your registration code? It says that after 10 days you will not be able to activate it. What I'm wondering is that if you don't activate it in 10 days, is this the expected behavior? That may make sense....

What doesn't make sense is that the directions to activate the software don't apply to me, because I was never asked to register. It just started the first time without prompting me for anything. Also, there wasn't a way (that I found) to enter a registration once you've started.

So, if this is true, then that would explain why one day it worked, then the next day it didn't, even though nothing changed from one day to the next except the date. I'm going to try rolling back the date just to try it, thought it is probably smarter than that. In the meantime, I've got a support request in. I can't go uninstalling/re-installing patches since this is my work PC, and nothing installed from the time it worked to the time it didn't anyway.

Thanks! I'll post something if they are actually helpful.

Comment

• Makubex_GB
                        Different
                        • Oct 2005

Well I bought my license to WinDVD 7 Platinum after my trial version expired, so I can't help you with your question. Sorry .

P.S. I think I tried the roll-back-time thing once, but it didn't work either.

Comment

• daemonic
                          • Nov 2005

Well, I got a very scripted, standard reply that didn't help at all. So, I've asked for a refund, since I can't use the software. I'm using Media Player Classic in the interim until I decide whether I want to pay for PowerDVD.

Here was the response:

It seems that there is some other software that is conflicting with it. make sure that you are only using one DVD player. Also be sure to have all the latest drivers for your hardware. Check your system for virues and spyware. I would suggest that you try another uninstall/reinstall after your system is clean and reactivate it.

To re-activate your software, you will need to get a new key from your member account.

To retrieve your new activation key, please login to our website here: http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Signin.jsp

Make sure to use the same e-mail and password you purchased the product with. After logging in, scroll to the bottom of the page, you should see a button labeled "Serial Number" click on this button and this is your new activation key to re-activate your software.

You can use the copy and paste method by clicking on the "copy this" button and then go back to your desktop open the software, choose the option to "activate" the product, paste the key into the corresponding area of the activation tab.

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

daemonic, a bit of a long shot, but do you by any chance have any 'virtual drives' on your PC?

Comment

• Baseman
                              • Dec 2005

Besides re-installing Microsoft's Critical Updates for Windows I also re-installed some of the applications I had recently installed except one, because it was one of the things I installed right before WinDVD choked and I didn't want to have to uninstalled it again (plus it wasn't an important app). That application was Cablenut 408.
                              So in the end the software I didn't install was Cablenut 408 and those 5 updates I just listed up there.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
                              Hope you don't mind the edit

It is confirmed that using cablenut will conflict with WinDVD7 due to some reg tweaks that 7 uses for the net. No work around has been done yet but some folks are working on it sooooo your findings are right on!

Peace,
                              Eva

Comment

• Makubex_GB
                                Different
                                • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by Baseman
                                Hope you don't mind the edit

It is confirmed that using cablenut will conflict with WinDVD7 due to some reg tweaks that 7 uses for the net. No work around has been done yet but some folks are working on it sooooo your findings are right on!

Peace,
                                Eva
                                Cool, glad to help.

Comment

Working...