X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shiin
    • Apr 2002

PowerDVD Hardware Acceleration causes problems

Hi!
    I've got a problem with my PowerDVD 4.0 since several days: whenever I try to start a movie with Hardware Acceleration enabled there is a short access to the DVD and then PowerDVD freezes. Without hardware acceleration PowerDVD works fine.
    I'm using WinXP Pro with all updates installed an Elitegroup K7S5A mainboard with the newest Bios and an Asus Geforce 6800 Deluxe.
    About a week ago, I didn'T have this problem. Since then I installed and deinstalled the DirectX8.1 SDK. Might this be the cause ? Well anyway, after encountering the problem I also tried (re)installing DirectX8.1, PowerDVD and various Detonator drivers (mainly 23.11 and 28.32) with little success. Twice I got PowerDVD to run again with hardware acceleration enabled but with some funny side effects. Once a second window opened, labeld "ActiveMovie" which showed the movie but all controls (like when being in a DVD menu) had to be made in the first, empty window labeled as PowerDVD window. The other time I got DVD playback (with the 28.32 drivers) there was just the PowerDVD window but the movie was cut to a 4:3 view instead of the normal widescreen.
    I even took a second harddisk, installed WinXP, the 23.11 detonator drivers and PowerDVD 4.0 to check and there everything worked fine!
    Does anybody know what I can do about this problem, since this is really frustrating right now?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

DirectX seems to "prefer" being installed as the last item (after all driver and codec updates).

Comment

• shiin
      • Apr 2002

Already tried this. But I have now found the cause, if not the solution, for this behaviour. As mentioned in my first post, I installed XP and PowerDVD on another harddisk. Now I've installed the DirectX 8.1 SDK and bang the symptons where there as discribed. Installing the SDK and reinstalling DirectX didn't solve the problem.

So now I only need to find out what files or settings the SDK replaced and didn't bother to reset when it was disinstalled. Anybody got an idea how to do this easily ?

Comment

Working...