Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pontoneer
    • Mar 2005

Sony DVP-S7700

For a while now I have been using my Sony DVP-S7700 for playback of purchased DVD discs , which it does faultlessly .

It is less successful , however , at playing back DVD-R discs I have burnt on my computer - some discs are fine , others will play erratically or nt at all .

Strangely , my much older and more basic DVP - S325 , which was relegated to the bedroom when I upgraded to the 7700 , plays all discs I burn without any problems.

I am burning the discs on my Mac G4 fitted with the Pioneer 108 drive using either Toast Titanium or Popcorn . Backups are 'ripped' using 'Mac the Ripper' and slideshows or Mini DV material from iPhoto or iMovie & iDVD .

Does anyone else here use a 7700 ? Is it just not designed to play DVD-R discs or is there a fault with my particular machine ? I don't wish to part with it because it is so good with original discs ; I may end up bringing the old machine back through to play the DVD-R s.
  • Raven386
    • Nov 2005

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/dvps7700.html that is the best info site for this player. it doesnt say it does play -/+ R and it doesnt say it cannot. so i guess if you find a brand it can play. stick with those.... or it could just be a bad burn. try using +R discs instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817130957 <-- those are some of the best.
    Not a member? Sign Up Here

Comment

• Pontoneer
      • Mar 2005

Thanks for that , it does not seem to matter which brand of discs I use ( though I have stuck with - rather than + discs , I will try the + variety ) and it is Verbatim x8 speed I am currently using , sometimes a recording will play fine and other times it will not . I did find that burning at 1x speed seemed to help , but again not always .

It just seems strange that the newer 'flagship' player has this problem whilst the older and cheaper machine plays every disc without fail every time . If it were not for the fact that , when it does work and with all original DVDs , the 7700 gives such superlative sound and picture quality , particularly with the component output - I would give up on it.

Comment

• Raven386
        • Nov 2005

none of the specs for your player said anything about -/+ R/RW/DL. try cleaning the lens. does the 7700 act as a Reciever? because if you end up having problems with backed-up dvds.. you can hook up a cheap player. thats always an idea. i used Google to find that website so you can try that too. sorry i couldnt be more help.
        Not a member? Sign Up Here

Comment

• Pontoneer
          • Mar 2005

I had already tried one of those lens cleaning discs , I don't think dirt is the problem . It plays CD-R audio discs without any problems and plays some of my DVD-R discs but not others .

The machine is about 5 years old now and maybe the laser is due for replacement ( it has separate lasers for CD and DVD playback so this could be significant ) . I was just hoping someone else on the forum who had the same machine could confirm whether or not this model is capable of playing these discs.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Comment

Working...