X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B52HOASECM
    • Nov 2001

WinDVD Unable to Play Anything

Here's my situation...
    When I attempt to play ANY of my DVDs as DVDs using WinDVD 2000 (see sig for system details) I cannot get them to play.
    When I insert the disc into the drive, WinDVD comes up to the splash screen, 10-15% of the time, it will display the FEEB warning, then immediately drop back to the splash. If I attempt to click on the Play button (or select Play from the right-click menu) the program momentarily shows 'DVD' on the Status bar, blanks the screen, then drops back to the splash... 10-15% of the time, it will replay the warning and drop back, 10% it will get to the Title Menu, then drop back when ANYTHING is selected there, and maybe 5-10% I can get from the Title to the options, and finally, 1-2% of the time, from the Title, I can get the program to start playing, but it drops back to splash 90% of THOSE times.

I can play VOBs as files, but of course, I can't access any features, like Lang selection, that way... which is a MAJOR problem.

When I first set up the system (with 128MB RAM, and ASUS K7V Mobo, and WinDVD 1.35) DVDs played OK, only dropping to splash 5% of the time, ususally when selecting Play from Title Menu. Then, without changing anything, they just stopped... I had to change Mobos to accommodate new memory, and I tried COMPLETELY removing the old version of WinDVD, and upgrading to retail WinDVD2000, checked connections and configuration of my drive, enabled and disabled DMA, and UDMA, but no joy, any ideas?

PS the percentages are accurate, I really did make hundreds of attempts and logged the results... annoying wot?
  • dionwr
    • Jan 2002

WinDVD tech support stumped

I, too, had WinDFD working on my new machine, but it was the demo version of WinDVD 3.1. I bought the full version, uninstalled the old version, installed the full--and it doesn't work, precisely the way yours doesn't; i.e., it plays the splash screen, but nothing else. I have, at this point, installed new nVidia drivers, new Via chipset drivers, new firmware for my Pioneer DVD drive, and (finally) completely re-installed Windows 2000. Nothing has worked to bring back DVD playback with WinDVD.

I've also tried the demo of PowerDVD, and it doesn't work, either. Anyone have any idea what goes on?

Comment

Working...