Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deus
    • Nov 2001

Mpeg4 capable dvd players

i have heard things about Dvd players that will play MPEG4. Have I just been imagining it or is this actuallly coming out?
  • DIVXsubs
    • May 2002

As far as i know, No standalone DVD Player support DivX (...yet)

Comment

• Deus
      • Nov 2001

Yea I realise that but I have heard things about Dvd Players playing DivX 5

Comment

• DIVXsubs
        • May 2002

Well i think that this might be true.. DVD players already support Mp3 and VCD / sVCD.. so why wouldnt they support DIVX. I'll be the first to buy one if they do.

It would be AWESOME if they also support subtitles to play with it!

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

An mpeg 4 or divx player would indeed by "awesome." However, unfortunately, not technical, but legal issues are stopping the deployment of mpeg 4. Until these are conclusively sorted out, its unlikely a mpeg 4 player will be manufactured.

Alternatively, companies have invested a lot in the dvd (mpeg 2) format, they'll want to make lots of money off of it, before moving on

Comment

• snakefist100
            • May 2002

The Reason for illegal Dvd Copying

If the companies that made DVD's weren't so god damn greedy, hence $30 a DVD charge, you wouldn't have people making things like DECSS and so on. A DVD costs about 50 cents to make and they want to make over 300% back for it. Well, to me that's just pure greed. A DVD should cost no more than the maximum $10 maybe $15. Once they work out the human greed element (Which will be never) maybe people will stop making so called illegal copies of DVD's.

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

I remember in the Simpsons episode, "TRASH OF THE TITANS" an executive of a company, claims "we've made enough money"....he's then fired and brutally kicked out. The big companies, its all about money, and makin' lots of it no matter how

Comment

Working...