Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shock
    • Jan 2005

Cant play anything now!! HELP!!

I have had every codec installed on the planet. I have a ton and a half of video editing software. Everything worked like a jewl. I had a FX 5900, And I just upgraded to a FX 7600 and now I can play anything. I installed the newest drivers. latest directX, I didnt change anything other then the video card. I can play an AVI file if I open it in VDUB first. but if I try to play a mpeg1 or 2 or any wmv file in windows media play my whole system locks up. My system locks up even when I go to the folder that has all my edited clips in it. the folder contains about 200 clicps of all file types. even my TMPGEnc locks up when I try to edit a mpeg1. This is driving me nuts!! Can anyone help me?
    Columbo? blutach? cynthia? Chewy? jmet?
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

I have had every codec installed on the planet.
    well, there's your problem ()

My system locks up even when I go to the folder that has all my edited clips in it
    that's explorer attempting to render them in order to generate thumbnails and gather file info. start by clicking start-->run, type

Code:
    regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
    and hit enter. that should allow you to navigate through your folders for the timebeing. suggest you uninstall your graphics card's drivers, run something like driver cleaner or detonator R.I.P and re-install. have another shot at playing the files
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Shock
      • Jan 2005

Thanks. Thats letting me navigate through my folders. I found that if I disable Direct draw. and Direct 3D in the dxdiag. I can play and edit all my movies just fine. But by doing so I cant play 3D games. So I have to toggle back and forth from the dxdiag, depending on what Im doing. I will try uninstalling the driver and using an older drive that came with the card. Thanks for the responce.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

I will try uninstalling the driver and using an older drive that came with the card
        i would advise against that, assuming you have the 7600 (and not an old FX card), more recent drivers are recommended, particularly for gaming

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

Since it is Christmas. Driver Cleaner Pro & a couple of usefull sites to visit.

http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/.

http://www.driverheaven.net/forum.php.

Comment

• Shock
            • Jan 2005

Whats the command to reverse the "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" command once I get everything working again?

never mind I found it "regsvr32 shmedia.dll" I was thinking that the new drivers might be effecting the Direct 3D differently with this card. I have found several people having this same problem with this same exact card. (XFX FX7600 GT) I havent found a patch for it yet. Im going to call XFX tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks fro the help. at least I have a work around for now.
            Last edited by Shock; 26 Dec 2006, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

XFX FX7600 GT
              there's no "FX" in geforce 7 AFAIK

Comment

Working...