X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lonelyp
    • Jun 2008

Hello I'm new to this forum and have questions

Hi,
    I'm trying to find out why my Emerson DVD/VCR can burn 8 hours or more on a 4.7GB DVD-R disk, but I haven't found any software that can. I have Nero loaded now. and also own Roxio, but they do 2 hours max. And sometimes give me trouble with that. Saying the files are too big to fit on the disk.
    A 697MB AVI movie wont fit on a 4.7GB DVD??. I just don't understand.

Do I need to get newer software? What software should I look for?
    Are there any other tricks I can use?

I know splitting files up sometimes helps. But I still can't put multi files on one disk, as I could record 8 shows of Law & Order, or CSI, off the TV. But if I downloaded the same shows, I couldn't put them on the same disk. Even without the commercials.

Can you ZIP or otherwise compress files and still have them burn and play properly? (never tried that)

Thanks for any help offered.
    Lonelyp
  • locoeng
    Who Farted?
    • Dec 2005

I'll assume that your DVD recorder will play .avi's since that is what it records in....why don't you simply burn your .avi to a CD instead of converting to a DVD?

If you really want to convert your .avi try DVD Flick, it's free and should produce a DVD compliant file for burning onto a single SL disc.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
    Walt Kelly

Comment

• lonelyp
      • Jun 2008

Thanks for the reply but...

The AVI files I'm trying to burn were not made with my DVD burner. The first in a series is one that is 697MB and Nero says it's to big if I load the AVI file. I have converted to VCD with Cucusoft AVI to VCD, MPG, DVD, converter. And Nerovision does NOT say it is to big that way. It seems that what ever I convert to, Nerovision transcodes anyway befor burning, and it takes hours.

One problem I have had burning from the AVI files, is having the audio go out of sinc. Cucusoft converter is good for fixing this problem.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Conversion programs are designed to work as fast as they can and not lose quality, your dvd recorder in 8 hour mode makes a very low quality recording, the cost of a single blank dvd is so little people would rather keep as much quality as they can.

Now standard definition is going the way of the vhs

Talk about DVD Flick, a free software to convert your AVI/DivX/XviD files to DVD

you might get a 3 hour avi with dvdflick

Comment

• lonelyp
          • Jun 2008

Yes I agree...

I agree with you the video quality of the 8 hr DVD will be lower. But for instance, I have The "Childern of Dune", I had each show on seperate CD-R discs. And put them onto 1 DVD-R with the Emerson recorder. The video quality may be a little lower, but I can live with that to have the whole mini series on one DVD. I would like to have the A&E "Hornblower" series on 1 or 2 discs.

My real question is:
          If the Emerson Deck can do it why can't I find software that can, so I can make it on the computer?
          OR:
          What software do I need?

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

at 800 minutes, your deck would do it in 2 disks of real crappy quality

I don't see the show available in avi anywhere except in an illegal downloads

thread closed

Comment

Working...