Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budreaux
    • Jan 2006

Media Center Software

Ok, I have some where around 1000 DVDs in my collection. We've all had the discussion about how to protect our investments from the greasy finger prints that are our children, so i won't go into that.
    What I want to do and have begun to do is convert and save all my DVDs to AVI format for playback directly from my PC on my TV in order to save dick space.

The question is, have any of you done this or anything like this? If so, what Windows based software did you use to organize your collection for playback. I'm looking to make it as simple as possible for my kids, but it doesn't have to be overly simplistic.

I'm setting up my old gaming pc as the media center atm, and the kids are excited about the possibility of having all these movies just a few button mashes away. Any suggestions or experience would be welcomed and appreciated.
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Hi Budreaux,

You must be a patient man ... 1000 dvds to AVI ... I guess each movie will take about an hour or so ...

Anyway, I am messing around with the same notion ... but I am thinking the movies will then be listed "Alphabetically" ... and that should be the end of it ... or am I over-simplifying it.

G!

Comment

• Budreaux
      • Jan 2006

Well, of course they will, but that wasn't what I was getting at.
      Windows Media Edition is an OS built around the idea of creating a media center for the entertainment room.
      I'm using Windows XP, but was wondering if there was some form of software package that would organize my media files for easy selection and playback on my converted system.

My basis of doing this came from a product call the Neorus OSD.

Last edited by Budreaux; 22 Jun 2008, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• gonwk
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

OK Budreaux ...

Feeling guilty ... so tell me if this is what you are looking for ... and it is "FREE" ... and it says works with MSFT Media Center ...

Thanks,

G!

Comment

• Budreaux
          • Jan 2006

Comment

• gonwk
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2005

Hi Budreaux,

So you are "Happy" ... post back and tell us if it is working for you.

G!

Comment

• Budreaux
              • Jan 2006

Actually, no. It looked to be exactly what I was looking for, but I fiddled with it for a few hours and just couldn't get it to pick up my files and show them properly.
              I found another called Got All Media, but it wasn;t completely finished and seems to have lsot support other than PVR capabilities.

Comment

• gonwk
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2005

Hi Bureaux,

I am sure I can dig up something ... I'll chat with my local pals and see who is doing what?

But, I am surprised ... noone else is chiming in on this one ... oh well!

G!

Comment

• atifsh
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2003

if just the software u need like media center....

for home sharing..
                  Last edited by atifsh; 23 Jun 2008, 04:54 PM.
                  Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...