Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckl29
    • Jan 2009

video locks up

hi everybody.....my SONY dvpns325 has a problem.....if the disk has any small scrathes or scuffs it locks up.....removed the cover, blew out the dust, cleaned the laser.....still locks up.....laser alignment?.....any suggestions
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by chuckl29
    hi everybody.....my SONY dvpns325 has a problem.....if the disk has any small scrathes or scuffs it locks up.....removed the cover, blew out the dust, cleaned the laser.....still locks up.....laser alignment?.....any suggestions
    Hi Chuck,

I am not an Expert Tech or anything but just out of curiosity I googled your Sony Player and it is pretty old ... 2003 model ... so may be the "Error Handling" on it is way low ... usually thoug the Home unit are mor etolerable of the scratches ... so yours may be is on it's way out.

Here are some info for you ...

Compare Video Players
    http://review.zdnet.com/compare/vide...uctid=30098762

Reviews of the Sony DVP-NS325/B

CNET Review of the Sony DVP-NS325/B
    http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...-30098762.html

So if you want to be able to watch any DVD or even AVI (XviD or DivX) and a much better "Error" handling dvd player ... I would look into a Philips DVD Player.

Philips DVD Players

I have a "Philips DVP 5982" and it is Great ... it plays everything ... I bought it from Best Buy for about $60. I gave my older model "DVP 5962" to my cousin and she loves it also.

You can buy Philips DVD Players at Wal-Mart also.

All you need is the basic DVP model ... check out the Philips website and compare the models next to each other ... then check Wal-Mart or Best Buy or Circuit City and pick one up under $60 or even less.

G!

Comment

• chuckl29
      • Jan 2009

video lock up

hi g.....the reviews were a little weak....it's ok 4 movies.....its probably a simple laser adjust.....iyo, is a laser adjust possible?

Comment

• gonwk
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

Hi Chuck,

If your problem is Laser alignments ... yes it is possible.

Since you are determined to blow your finger up try the followings ... one of them it ought to work for you ...

Sony Service Manuals, User manuals, Schematics, Servicing Theory and Adjustment

Post back your results please!

G!
        Last edited by gonwk; 12 Jan 2009, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• chuckl29
          • Jan 2009

at this time i saw the post on how to reboot a SONY through the auto calibration menu with the remote.....did not work.....emailed SONY for the access codes to get in....forget it.....i need some access codes to get into the factory menu for the calibration.....maybe ill open it up again open the tray and take a closer look for any adjustments....got nothing to lose....im disappointed....you buy something and your lucky to get a few years out of it....too all: you wanted cheap junk you got it.....makers could produce good stuff but you didnt want it....

Comment

• gonwk
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2005

at this time i saw the post on how to reboot a SONY through the auto calibration menu with the remote.....did not work.....emailed SONY for the access codes to get in....forget it.....i need some access codes to get into the factory menu for the calibration.....maybe ill open it up again open the tray and take a closer look for any adjustments....got nothing to lose....im disappointed....you buy something and your lucky to get a few years out of it....too all: you wanted cheap junk you got it.....makers could produce good stuff but you didnt want it....
            Hi Chuck,

I can not remember where in the world I found these ... but I found them on the net I believe and saved them for a "Rainy Day" ... so I dug them up from my old, old clippings ...

Look at these 2 JPGs ... from a CD/DVD Burner Laser Adjustment ... just an idea of what you should be looking for when you Physically go into it.

Light Blue are rough position adjusting.
            Yellow is the lens tangential position screw.
            Red are the pot's (potentiometers). One of them is for DVD and the other for CD beam intensity adjusting.

Chuck, see if you can find your "Component Level Guide" and go from there!

BTW, if you get it going you will owe me a Cup of Coffee ... I had to do a lot of digging dude!

G!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by gonwk; 14 Jan 2009, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• chuckl29
              • Jan 2009

hi g.....interesting pics.....oth, they dont look like the 325.....maybe i was not clear.....it will play dvds and cds ok.....it starting to have trouble tracking dvds sometimes.....i suspect the calibration has drifted a little....ill use the pics for future reference.....thanx....ill owe u.....ill get back to u

Comment

• gonwk
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2005

hi g.....interesting pics.....oth, they dont look like the 325.....maybe i was not clear.....it will play dvds and cds ok.....it starting to have trouble tracking dvds sometimes.....i suspect the calibration has drifted a little....ill use the pics for future reference.....thanx....ill owe u.....ill get back to u
                No, those Pics are not of your Sony 325 ... they are some Samsung or Plextor Burner pics.

If the same "Scratched" dvd plays fine in your desktop or laptop ... then may be your Sony's Laser is on it's way out.

The above Link for HungryHacker that shows DVD Player caliberation then should be your answer.

I would be very much interested to see what would be your FIX for this problem!

G!

Comment

Working...