X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

dual core flick users?

Is flick using the second core during the ffmpeg video encoding?

So much for needing a lot of ram for video encoding, with 99% cpu and 40fps on my old amd xp 3200, it's only using 27 megs total
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

on the new flick it does go like 1.5 to 1.7 core but not full 100 % of my cpu
    sigpic

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
      Is flick using the second core during the ffmpeg video encoding?

So much for needing a lot of ram for video encoding, with 99% cpu and 40fps on my old amd xp 3200, it's only using 27 megs total
      On my machine FAVC 1.04 is consistently faster. It maxes out cores at 100%. I use DVD Flick when I run into files that FAVC doesn't like.

With FAVC it typically launches dual copies of QuEnc each processing in the range of 50 to 70 fps(this is with Hi Quality mode unchecked.) I think Flick gives me around 85 fps in Fast mode.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

I am getting 60-80 fps with my single core in normal not fastest, have you set the thread count to 2?

your ram might be slower, is it cas 4 800?

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

I am getting 60-80 fps with my single core in normal not fastest, have you set the thread count to 2?

your ram might be slower, is it cas 4 800?
          Yup I have thread count 2. It's giving me 86 fps with Fast setting(not Fastest.) I don't know what the other numbers are but ram says DDR2 533 MHZ.

In any case even my old Pentium D machine shows a big improvement with FAVC. It maxes out the HyperThreads. It must go like 1 1/2 times faster than other converters I've tried. I dunno' why Flick runs so slow but I do OK with FAVC. Once in a while if you set the bitrate too high it will produce a VIDEO_TS folder with a 0 .BUP or .IFO file. But even then as long as the VOBs finished processing ok I just put them through VOB2MPG and then auhor with DVDAuthorGUI instead of reprocessing. VOB2MPG takes about 3 minutes to fix up a 90 minute movie.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

you are using the latest dvd flick?

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

you are using the latest dvd flick?
              Yup. It's 1.2.2.1 Sept. 13

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Do you unpack your .avi files or do any preprocessing? I'm just feedin' 'em in raw.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

Hmm, from what I saw in DVD Flick change log it uses a multi-threaded ffmeg. FAVC otoh, uses 2 instances of QuEnc. Even if you only process one .avi file say, it splits it into two pieces and runs each through its own copy of QuEnc on its own core or hyperthread.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

post a task manager screen shot of a dual thread conversion with dvd flick

leave encoder priority at normal(default) and encoding profile at normal

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

I'm not really looking to diagnose DVD Flick. For avi => dvd my first choice is FAVC. About the only thing I use less than Flick is SUPER.

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

well you were commenting on flick, I thought it would be interesting to see what was happening, I guess what night said kind of confirms your observation.

quality and reliability not speed are my primary concerns with a conversion

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

well you were commenting on flick, I thought it would be interesting to see what was happening, I guess what night said kind of confirms your observation.

quality and reliability not speed are my primary concerns with a conversion
                          That would be consistent with your stated views on burning. I just chimed in because I use Flick occasionally and thought you might use the info.

I'm probably better at debugging than programming myself. When I see a problem or something acting other than expected I like to try to figure out why too. But I can pretty much tell just from using both Flick and FAVC that Flick is more linear. FAVC, at least during the video processing part, has already broken the tasks down so they can be done in parallel. But it will hog your machine. Nothing being free, as they say.

Comment

• NightTran
                            King of Digital Video
                            King of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2005

per Chewy request this is the screen shot of flick while encode, I know when I use flick it will never go to 100 cpu but with FAVC if I use both core I can't not really do much after
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by NightTran; 6 Oct 2007, 02:37 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...