Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrlewp
    • Jan 2004

PAL to NTSC / DVD...and CPU power

I was thrilled to find an app that could take an .avi file and transcode it to DVD folders.....and at the same time change the framerate from PAL to NTSC standards !
    Wondering , tho....with my older system, would it be better (end quality) to first just do the framerate change, then use 2nd step to create DVD files?
    (sometimes having a/v sync issues, but not always....cant pin it down)
    AMD-XP2600-2Ghz..1GbRAM--ATI 9000pro TV /analog capture. Dual 80g drives/Ext.250G drive/Pioneer 111D writer + HP300c DVD/CDwriter
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

make sure you are not trying to write to that external drive, dvd flick in it's authoring mode needs plenty of I/O speed

I am pretty sure when you convert an avi to mpeg2 that's called a pulldown(full conversion), it doesn't seem to matter about the pal/ntsc, the conversion is the hard work and takes all the time

flick will mess up audio synch some but usually just with bad avi's

convertx2dvd works better on those, but bad avi's are just bad avi's

Comment

• jblitz277
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Apr 2007

I use convertxtodvd and it's great nero can do it but,if you have old pc it's a resource hog and avi2dvd does it but,I don't recommend it seems shady to me.The options for convertxtodvd are awesome.

Edit-oh and winavi is pretty good but,I had sync probs with it rarely happened but,it happenned none the less.
      Asus P5N-E Sli nForce 650i mobo
      Intel Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz
      4 Gb OCZ Platinum Rev 2 PC6400 DDR2 800mhz
      Samsung 203B(sata)
      BenQ 1655(ide)
      Lite-On LH-20A1S-12 (sata)
      500Gb WD caviar (sata)
      300Gb Seagate Barracuda (ide)
      500Gb Western Digital external Harddrive USB X 2
      600w Ultra Infinity PS
      8500GT 512mb Vid
      Samsung Syncmaster 906BW
      Vista Ultimate (32 bit)

Comment

• NightTran
        King of Digital Video
        King of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

the old dvd flick only take about 50% of my dual core but the new one will up to 75-80%, if you have old machine try the old flick, normal avi dvd flick quality would be better
        sigpic

Comment

• jblitz277
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Apr 2007

With my P4 2.8ghz nero maxed it out and convertxtodvd about 80% and both would take between 1hr and 1 1/2 hrs now with Quad core convertx takes 25-30 min for 4.25-4.3gb dvd and uses 30%
          Asus P5N-E Sli nForce 650i mobo
          Intel Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz
          4 Gb OCZ Platinum Rev 2 PC6400 DDR2 800mhz
          Samsung 203B(sata)
          BenQ 1655(ide)
          Lite-On LH-20A1S-12 (sata)
          500Gb WD caviar (sata)
          300Gb Seagate Barracuda (ide)
          500Gb Western Digital external Harddrive USB X 2
          600w Ultra Infinity PS
          8500GT 512mb Vid
          Samsung Syncmaster 906BW
          Vista Ultimate (32 bit)

Comment

• mrlewp
            • Jan 2004

It's me , the original "post-man" (hey, I am a mailman in real life.....but I digest....?)
            My thoughts on CPU power simply asked whether the process would be better done in 2 steps, and issues are a/v sync , and picture quality. Seems like anything I do , regardless of tools used and methods , I get sound sync errors. Particularly with VirualDub.
            REFOCUS ;
            What would be the best steps taken to produce the best DVD image video , starting with a 1/2 hr., 700mb+ . avi file?...which , oh by the way , unfortunately is @PAL framerate
            AMD-XP2600-2Ghz..1GbRAM--ATI 9000pro TV /analog capture. Dual 80g drives/Ext.250G drive/Pioneer 111D writer + HP300c DVD/CDwriter

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

mrlewp, there are many approaches to converting Pal<=>Ntsc and if you search
              http://forums.afterdawn.com/ with
              PAL to NTSC conversion you'll get dozens of solutions.

If this conversion is for play on stand-alone DVD players what I do now is keep the same standard since my players play both. IOW, if the source is PAL I create a PAL DVD and just play that on my stand-alone. Much fewer problems with audio-sync since you're not changing the timing. If you must convert the format then my favorite technique was to keep the framerate the same during conversion, then run the resulting .m2v file through DGPulldown to change the framerate. Then just mux the audio and video together. On the site at the link above, you'll find lots of guides and varying opinions(or flame wars depending on how you view the discussion) but no shortage of suggestions and technical info.
              Last edited by MilesAhead; 28 Feb 2008, 07:04 AM. Reason: fix typos

Comment

• gonwk
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

@ Miles ... long time no see ... how goes it!?!?

@ mrlewp ... I am not sure if I am missing something here ... but converting an AVI to a DVD ... why not just use DVDFlick or FAVC ... I haven't used them for a while since I have been busy with work and home ... but, I think in FAVC you can choose to go from PAL to NTSC ... and Quality is pretty good depending what you select ...

G!

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

@ gonwk - just killin' time. How goes it with you?

Comment

• ed klein
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2004

You can use an outdated program TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 or its replacement and take a video AVI file d2v and output a mpeg2 video file m2v to encode down to 4.7gb.

TMPGEnc Plus can convert to 23.976 fps NTSC, 25.0 fps PAL, 29.976 fps NTSC

Take the output m2v video file, audio, chapters, subtitles and author it and burn to a DVD-5 at 4.7gb.

Comment

• mrlewp
                      • Jan 2004

(not getting email notices for this thread?? .. so I'm checking in to update)

I've had good results with DVDFlick , dont know what FAVC is yet.
                      More recently having serious audio sync glitches. Source .avi file is on 2nd internal drive, and trying to create DVD files on C drive. Audio is actually ahead of video!! which had never been the case before. I'm going to reverse the source and destination.....dont know if that will help.
                      Another post on similar concerns (thought this one) , writer said I need to plug that audio cable from my ATI TV Video card into the input of sound card. I have never done that and have no idea if that will help. I thought I'd use it , along with the yellow video cable.....to record to VCR or DVD from the PC.
                      Any thoughts on this?
                      Finally , poor video results are mostly a problem if I use Pinnacle Studio 9 to do any editing to video files that I've already processed with V'Dub in order to get to NTSC , so that Studio can work with them.
                      After Studio reworks them to DVD , the video looks worse than VCR video.
                      Causing me mucho angst !

Comment

Working...