• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • copythisdvd.com
    • May 2003

New Site: www.CopyThisDVD.com

Hi there,

I just launched a new site:

The idea is to share information about what DVDs are NOT Macrovision encoded. If you know of any, please let us know. And check out the site for the most current list of known "copyable DVDs".

Thanks!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

With the ability to EASILY remove Macrovision protection (by ripping to your hard drive using DVDDecrypter or similar), why would this be important to anybody?

Comment

• copythisdvd.com
      • May 2003

It's not that easy...

Because it's really NOT that easy, especially for people not familiar with the latest software out there for those purposes.
      Think about the time involved in ripping, re-recording, etc. and you're talking at least a few hours per DVD. Versus just popping a VCR in and hitting RECord. Basically, this site is out there to create a growing list of DVDs that are unprotected. Because nobody had done it yet.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Macrovision-free and easy to copy to
        VCR!"

I guess I didn't take note of the "signature" part of your post. Going backwards on the technology scale, I see ;>}

"Think about the time involved in ripping, re-recording, etc. and you're talking at least a few hours per DVD. Versus just popping a VCR in and hitting RECord."

Although I know it's of no interest to you, I have to let you know that you're misinformed. The only ADDITIONAL time is for the "rip" to the hard drive - which only takes from 10 to 20 minutes (and then "Video-Out" from the computer directly to the VCR)...

Comment

• copythisdvd.com
          • May 2003

I guess you're assuming everyone has their VCR hooked up to a video-out jack on their PCs? Video-out has usually been a non-standard add-on feature, requiring a separate video out card. And most folks keep their VCRs in the living room (though this is changing I suppose as PCs become entertainment centers).

As far as the time involved, the extra 20 minutes you mentioned (depending on speed of PC), plus the encoding for VCD is what I was calling "a few hours".

It's hard to beat "pop the DVD in and hit record on the VCR" for convenience, and that's what the site is about, keeping track of which DVDs allow for this type of convenience.

Just added another 12 titles!

Thanks for the input though!

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"As far as the time involved, the extra 20 minutes you mentioned (depending on speed of PC), plus the encoding for VCD is what I was calling "a few hours". "

At the risk of "beating a dead horse", there is no VCD creation involved in what I've described.

Good luck with your project...

(By the way, there are a multitude of "black boxes" available for about $39.95US, that eliminate Macrovision, so that one may record directly from standalone DVD player to VCR)

Comment

• copythisdvd.com
              • May 2003

Yeah, I have heard about those devices, this is basically just one step easier (and $40 cheaper) than that I guess. Thanks for the response! So far it has been pretty positive!

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

(I really don't know why I'm bothering, but...)

"this is basically just one step easier (and $40 cheaper) than that I guess."

Don't you understand? The "black box" allows one to directly copy even those DVDs that DO have Macrovision protection - which you otherwise could NOT copy by "simply pressing RECORD on your VCR!

I'm moving on now...

Comment

• gchester
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Feb 2002

pointless i agree might as well put them on beta

Comment

Working...