Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subsonicwaves
    • Jan 2004

Nvidia and the infamous White Bar...

How do you discuss macrovision and dvd rips while not allowing talk of pirated software? Thats like a car thief saying "please don't discuss theft tools..."
    ANYWAY... I want to post this for the hundreds of people out there with nvidia or Asus or any card using the GFX series of chips. The drivers you are getting have this macrovision protection thing in the nvcap.sys file. A large white bar across the capture of old macrovision VHS and DVD's? Annoying as hell. I even saw it show up every time I captured home videos with my sony 8mm. Took months to solve the problem, longer yet to find the elusive "108" capture WDM drivers from a few years back.
    So, I wrote a nasty letter to Aus and nvidia support. Nvidia support was so awfull, I never got a letter off. I needed 10 serial numbers, models, fcc, id's, bar codes.... All on the box I chucked away.
    Some support guy named "John" in Asus-Taiwan felt grieved over my situation, and sent me a link top some dusty old web site with the last of the capture drivers that were macrovision free... Version 119. (Link was on the Asus site!) Now, due to new rules, I can't post that link here, but, I have good news. They are out there! Version 108 -119 work fine. Install right over the new drivers Seems to also work fine. The are very forgiving...

I think the moral of this story is: Don't underestimate support email. Make the story good. Pose as a beautiful blonde female. Whatever it takes... demand your rights.
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

If you can capture the vhs and convert to a files mode then there are some decrypting programs which should remove macrosplat ( video quality could then be determined by computer video player or even with 'Shrink in files mode @ full screen setting), but there are other solutions, too.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Subsonicwaves
      • Jan 2004

Can we post links to drivers here? If that driver is needed only to circumvent copy protection? Of course I can then. This entire site is 50% DVD rip OFF, anyway.

Gets the last nvidia macrovision free driver. Allows you copy of old VHS tapes and new DVD's if you want to just capture them. Oh sorry. "Archive" your personal collection.

Comment

Working...