Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • minesgeek
    • Jan 2004

vhs -> dvd-r (stand alone)

alright, so i am a newbie at this but i have been searching around on the net with how to go from vhs -> dvd-r (stand alone pioneer). i am just sick of all of my purchased vhs tapes. basically i have learned that if i want to do it this way that i need a macrovision hardware remover. most of them i have seen on the market are to remove the macrovision from a dvd player.

eventhough i am not moving audio/video in that direction (from vhs to dvd, but rather the other) do i still use the same kind?

what i havent seen is people who have done this AND their reaction to the hardware remover that they have used. so if you have, give me a shout out...

thanks
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

The old "black boxes" work well on removing level-1 macrosplat from vhs tapes for back-up purposes. These are usually $40.00 or so (they should be less now that dvd is so popular).

Such back-ups (as you intend) are of better quality if the v.c.r. has an s-video out you can use to the video-in of the capture card.

It is a good idea to check out the freeware solution to this (Windows movie-maker-1 and -2). Gates has to do something to increase interest in 98 system owners to upgrade to XP and he does know that many people want to back-up their vhs movies and XP sales are either "flat" or declining.

If you choose a "commercial solution". the radeon (or is it ATI (or both)) card is decently supported for video capture and dvd back-up. There is also a macrosplat hack available for this card that a search @ dvdrhelp.com should reveal.

I would suggest Hauppauge (as no macrosplat problems), but Hauppauge left many 1,000's of the p.v.r. card owners un-supported (their software didn't'won't work) for a couple years or so. Read the dvdrhelp.com postings about what works on what systems with what software installed, but it seems the above ATI solution would work, though not in-expensive.

Did you know Netflix has an on-line movie rental program (they have 1,000's of older movies available) and many people rent (for $20.00) up to 20 movies a month! Not plugging for Netflix, but cheaper than local video rental place for new releases and hard-to-find movies............

If you don't know how to burn DVD's, but want to :

An all freeware ( and without spyware ) solution is :

Dvddecrypter v. 3.1.9.0, DvdShrink versions : 2.3 , 3.0 Beta 5 , 3.1.4 (download each) , Coujo.de's IMG Tool Classic v. 0.91.1 (Iso maker for 'decrypter to burn 'Shrink movie) can give you a movie without macrosplat and Region code restrictions, etc..

Meritline.com had the Pioneer 106D (w/free shipping( for $135.00.
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• decryptit
      • Jan 2004

what is ur model
      Total Number Of Views
      Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

Look @ sig..
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• decryptit
          • Jan 2004

??
          Total Number Of Views
          Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

Hauppauge 880 card is listed in "Rig" sig. @ end of posts.
            Rig :

Comment

• decryptit
              • Jan 2004

ok
              Total Number Of Views
              Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• Traiklin
                • Apr 2004

I Have the same problem, My Capture card is an ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9200, I nevver had this problem with my AT TV Wonder VE (But it was just a crappy capture card I thought so I figured time to upgrade! ) I've searched and searched and searched but havn't been able to find any hacks that will remove it (that work anyways).

Comment

Working...