Where is macrovision flag in DVD .IFO file?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmfritz
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Aug 2003

Where is macrovision flag in DVD .IFO file?

Does anybody know where the macrovision flag is contained in the VIDEO_TS.IFO (or other) file? Most of the DVD backup programs remove macrovision and therefore are editing this file.

Also, IFOEdit has a "remove APS" function (APS is analog protection system, aka Macrovision), but I cannot find what it's changing in the .IFO file. I've specifically taken unaltered .IFO files from known macrovision-protected DVDs and used this IFOEdit choice on the file, and the resulting file seems to be identical to the original, i.e. no changes are made.

So, what alterations are DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter and others making to get rid of it?
  • Aquila
    • Jan 2004

AFAIK, the macrovision and CSS encryption are actually located in the disc's header, not in the .ifo file.
    Visit my homepage sometime

Comment

• Crash Override
      • Feb 2004

The macrovision flag is actually stored in the VOB files, since not all of the disc's content is necessarily macrovision encoded.
      -= P4/2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 700 GB HD
      -= GeForceFX 5600, Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro

Comment

• kmfritz
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Aug 2003

Thanks for the replies.

I was considering the use of DVD43 as a freeware solution, but was wondering if I could overcome it's limitation of not removing macrovision.

It now makes sense that IFOEdit doesn't seem to change the .IFO files when I use the "remove APS" option, but on the other hand it doesn't seem to modify the vobs either when I use this option....perhaps this function is broken in IFOEdit..?

Comment

• Crash Override
          • Feb 2004

What's your basis for saying that IFOEdit doesn't change the vobs? The filesize would stay the same. Macrovision is only a flag that's set one way or the other. (1 or 0)
          -= P4/2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 700 GB HD
          -= GeForceFX 5600, Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro

Comment

Working...