X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilmcca
    • Jun 2002

Anyone recommend a DVD Player ??

Hello,
    I will be buying a DVD- player for my p.c. shortly, and being new to this game, i thought i'd pick some brains first.
    I'd basically like to take a dvd and re-record it as a vcd,
    I'm not sure what i need for this, maybe all region if it is a region 1 film, but do i need to remove macrovision ?
    What are the most popular brands of dvd player ?-or is there any in particular i should avoid !
    Thanks,
    neil.
  • jimfiel57
    • Jun 2002

I have got a really cheap one from Dixons it was going very cheap £90, it is a matsui 110, yes not very good but it does the job and there is also a hack to make it region free. Oh you meant for your PC, I have a AOPEN cheap one which cost me £70 2 years ago.

Comment

• STFUproductions
      • Jul 2002

Just a tip for if you plan on watching a lot of DVDs on your computer, you should get a mpeg-2 card to go with your dvd player if you have a free pci slot because playing dvds through a mpeg-2 card is many times better than using a software dvd player like windvd

Comment

• Val_Parthen
        • Aug 2002

I was looking for a DVD solution for my system a little while ago and I ended up buying the Creative Labs DVD-Encore kit. It was about $250 ($200? I don't remember) about a year and a half ago and it's been perfect!

It comes with a 12x DVD/CD drive and the dxr3 decoder card. This kit was the easiest thing I've EVER installed in a PC.

Now for the fun things you can do with this kit.

the dxr3 card is nothing more than a SigmaDesigns Hollywood Plus card, repackaged by Creative. In Windows 2000, Creative doesn't have recent drivers, but the H+ drivers work like a charm. There are also some programs you can find that allow you to extend the usability of this kit - there's a region changer (so you can watch any region with it). There's also a program called HH+ that allows you to output DivX files through the dxr3 card. The TV quality of this kit is some of the best DVD quality I've ever seen on a TV. The PC monitor quality is good, but if you run a program like PowerDVD, you'll be pretty happy.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...