Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EighteenthVoid
    • May 2002

Precise MPEG cutting needed

I need to cut an mpeg file into several smaller chunks.. but most mpeg cutters arent very precise when processing their cuts, and only do one cut at a time. Basically what I am trying to do is this: I have a video of a punk show that I recorded in one big vcd mpeg file. I need to cut the video into smaller files (one for each song) so that I may burn them onto a video cd and have each file on a separate track, so that i may give a copy to the band featured on the video. but i need the cuts to be precise, like on individual I frames and shit so when the vcd plays back, the tracks flow seamlessly.
    does anyone know of such a program/method that can accomplish this?
  • WeenBoy
    • Apr 2002

I was having the same problem

I needed to cut at frames, but apparently because Divx uses key frames (5-10 second intervals) you can't cut on a key frame. Only way I did it before (and this is movie ripping, not home video) was to cut it before I compressed it, not after Divx did. Everything I read so far says there isn't an AVI cutter that will cut at individual frames. (although maybe this wil help http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...hlight=cut+avi )

Comment

• EighteenthVoid
      • May 2002

Yes, most video compression methods use keyframes, including all versions of the mpeg standard. In mpeg files they are called "I" (independant) frames and are followed by "P" (previous) and "B" (Both previous and next) frames, the most common order goes IBBPBBPBBPBBP and repeat. an I frame and all B and P frames that immediately follow together are called a group of pictures (GOP).
      Now if I were to cut and mpeg between the last frame in a GOP and the next I frame, it should make a clean cut. You shouldnt need to re-encode the video at all. A program that makes clean mpeg cuts will do the job. Unfortunately I havent found a program that will make cuts by frame, much less by I frames. Maybe a programmer will come along and read this.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Have you tried TMPGEnc?

Comment

• EighteenthVoid
          • May 2002

Yes, I use TMPGEnc for almost all of my mpeg needs, but as far as precisely cutting an mpeg file into smaller parts, it does't do the trick. It works on time instead of frames, and it's more like cropping a file rather than splitting it.
          I need something that will split a file perfectly, into multiple files. In a manner that if I choose to do so, I could take all those files and merge them back together to have an exact duplicate of the original mpeg file Istarted with

Comment

Working...