Can someone tell me how I know I have the most updated drivers?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ultralight
    • Apr 2002

Can someone tell me how I know I have the most updated drivers?

I have so many I can't list. Thanks
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

I am not 100% sure, however CNET I believe, may offer a program that can update drivers, its called catchup or something.

Comment

• benedict
      Lord of the 4th Estate
      • Jun 2002

C/NET and Catch-Up are correct. I've never used the program, but if numbers mean anything, Catch-Up probably has a million+ downloads. Obviously a number of people like it.
      It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

Thanks for the info Benedict . Personally, I wouldnt' upgrade drivers unless they are giving me trouble or I have reason to believe that the new drivers will enhance performance.

Comment

• benedict
          Lord of the 4th Estate
          • Jun 2002

Actually, I'm not sure if Catch-Up even does drivers. In their e-mails, at least, they're always highlighting popular products that have been upgraded. Even if you don't use their (free) service, their e-mail is a good way to see what's changed.

As for upgrading drivers, I'm with you. When I got this computer, I called for help on a problem and they told me to do a modem driver upgrade. I did. Nothing changed. A few moths later, same deal. I D/L'd another modem upgrade, thought about it for a few moments and said, "Hell! My modem's fine!" I haven't upgraded a driver since, and that was 2 years ago.

I think that's called: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
          It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

That would be the same case with me. I'm using the modem driver that I downloaded in 1998 or 1999, and surprisingly, the same driver works under WinXP.

I still upgrade the drivers for my Radeon though. Given ATI's commitment to continually improve their driver (now), it just makes sense to upgrade, esp. now that I'm playing Neverwinter Nights. I have to say there is a slight and tangible increase in the overall image quality and I haven't had any troubles with the upgrades at all.

Comment

Working...