lines, lines and more lines. which filter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WeenBoy
    • Apr 2002

lines, lines and more lines. which filter?

I'm getting those lines that people sometime post about having problems with and the usual comment is, "Use a deinterlacer." And I did, the one that came with VDub. Problem is there are STILL lines. I downloaded Smart Deinterlacer 2.7 beta 2, but I have NO idea what to change any settings to.

1) frame differencing only
    2) field differencing only
    3) frame and field differencing
    check which one?

- compare color channels instead of luma
    check it?

- blend instead of interpolate in motion areas
    check it?

- use cubic for interpolation
    check it?

- motion map denoising
    check it?

- motion threshold
    it has it at 20, more or less?

- scene change threshold
    it has it at 100, more or less?

ADVANCED
    1) field swap before phase shift
    2) phase shift
    3) field swap after phase shift
    4) disable motion processing
    I can check 1, 2, 3 or all

Anything suggestions would help and I don't mind waiting 2 days for it to process it, i just don't want those lines, so I'd set them at maximum (if I knew what/where/how to.) It's odd because not all the movies have lines, some I have to deinterlace, some I don't. And not understanding the settings and other possbile solutions don't help. Thanks in advance.

(If I get a response, I'm sure this will be valuable info for any newbie.)
    Last edited by WeenBoy; 5 Aug 2002, 03:08 PM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Simply experiment with different settings on a small section of the video that exhibits the problem...

Comment

• WeenBoy
      • Apr 2002

I have and gotten closer...

... but I still have few lines. I was just wondering if anybody knew what these terms meant and what would be the best setting for complete line termination.

Comment

• Mark Madness
        • May 2002

Have you tried inverse telecine?

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Follow what the documentation that comes along with Smart Deinterlacer says. I do mostly animation, so if this is not what you work on, my methods will not necessarily work for you.

1) frame differencing only
          2) field differencing only
          3) frame and field differencing
          check which one?
          The first option works fine for me, though I haven't tried the others as well.

- compare color channels instead of luma
          check it? yes. It works well for animation

- blend instead of interpolate in motion areas
          check it? I'm against this one. It results in image ghosting, which is plain ugly

- use cubic for interpolation
          check it? Yes. More accurate, shall I say?

- motion map denoising
          check it? If your thresold is especially low (ie. 15 and below), you should check this. I don't see any difference between checking it or not though.

- motion threshold
          it has it at 20, more or less? That depends on your source material. You need to find a thresold low enough so that it removes the interlacing artifacts and yet not too low so as to result in too much blurring of the image

- scene change threshold
          it has it at 100, more or less? I always put it at 20 or 30, either of which has no noticable difference in my eyes

As for the Advanced options, it is meant for PAL capture materials, and since I don't do captures, I leave them alone. If you are working on Originally-FILM NTSC material, follow Mark's advice on using Inverse Telecine. It works very well and better than plain deinterlacing.
          Last edited by Enchanter; 5 Aug 2002, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• richie_577
            • Aug 2002

yeah i think i have the same problem if i put the avi are divx movie to mpeg vcd the lines dissapear but when i put it back to avi divx the line cum back again even when i download of other like a divx brillent quality but line there again i'm still looking for help if anyone knows plz 1) ive already updated my graphices did not do anythinks 2) already installed direct x 8.1 it did nothing to the divx avi's movie?

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Assuming your DivX file has a high video resolution (ie. Higher than 352x() ), when you convert it to VCD (and hence to a low resolution of 320x() ), the deinterlacing artifacts will disappear. In short, deinterlacing artifacts do not occur at low resolutions.

Comment

• WeenBoy
                • Apr 2002

maybe that is the problem, im not...

... converting to VCD or SVCD at low resolution. i'm converting it to 720x480(or 360). Yes, yes, yes, I know everybody says, "No need to", "why?", but that is what im compressing it to. How can I get rid of them at that higher res?

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

How goes your experiment with Smart Deinterlacer? It seems to me that you are using a thresold value of 20. If interlacing artifacts still appear, you need to use lower values (Hopefully you don't need to go lower than 10). You weren't thinking of increasing the value instead (which means less deinterlacing effects), were you?

Comment

Working...