Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sci33
    • Aug 2002

Movie speed messed up???

Hi, I have a problem that has been going on for a long time and it happens to a bunch of my videos. If I just load up the file and start watching it start to finish it'll work fine. But for some reason even if its a 5-10 minute long video, it'll just say that it's only a little over a minute long, and the time bar moves very fast (while the video plays normally). Once it reaches the end after a minute has passed, it just keeps playing the video until it's finished.

Also, if I try to jump to another part of the video (like fast forward, click on the time bar to jump to that part), it plays for a second and then just freezes (not the program but the video).

I'm using windows media player 6.4, divx 5.0 codec (though I've had this problem before too), my computer is athlon 650 mhz, windows 2000, and 192mb pc133 ram. I've tried defragging, redownloading videos, reinstalling the latest graphics card drivers, but nothing really works. please help. maybe I need to increase virtual memory?

thanks
  • sci33
    • Aug 2002

please??

Comment

• benedict
      Lord of the 4th Estate
      • Jun 2002

I don't suspect this will be too much help, but for what it's worth:

1) The freezing problem might have something to do with a lack of keyframes in your video. If there are too few (or possibly only one at the start of the video), your viewer will have to process every single frame between where you were in the video and where you want to jump to. If this jump is large enough, this can take a very long time.

But as I said, that's only a guess.

2) Your time display problem sounds like it might be specific to Windows 2000, of which I know little about other than I've heard a number of folks complain about "video quirkiness" with that OS. If you can't get a better answer to that here, you might try the Doom9 video forum which seems to get a bit more traffic regarding operating system problems.
      It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• sci33
        • Aug 2002

thanks.. still dont know what to do though

Comment

Working...