• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DreamTFK
    • Aug 2002

Problem: Divx movies running choppy

To start I have a decent computer AthlonXp 1.5 512mb ddr
    geforce4 ti4400 and 40GB HDD Windows XP

When I watch movies like Saving Private Ryan alot of the scenes (not all) will drag and be choppy. The movie res is 640x400 (pretty decent for a divx) in MPEG-3 why can't my computer handle this? Thx in advance
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Have you tried to use WMP 6.4 for playback?

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

If you downloaded rather than created the DivX, I can almost guarantee that it was just a poor conversion. When I converted my DVD to DivX (using Flask), it required both deinterlacing and reconstruction of progressive images to properly duplicate the motion in some scenes (such as a scene midway through the movie, when Tom Hanks and his platoon run through a clearing to a wooded area).

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

When I watch movies like Saving Private Ryan alot of the scenes (not all) will drag and be choppy. The movie res is 640x400 (pretty decent for a divx) in MPEG-3 why can't my computer handle this? Thx in advance
        Could also be because of poor encoding. For example, insufficient or low bitrates in high-motion scenes, resulting in dropped frames (Hence the choppiness).

Comment

• DreamTFK
          • Aug 2002

Could I recode it myself? If so with what?

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Assuming this is caused by insufficient bitrates, reencoding won't make any improvements since the necessary information (or data) has already been lost. Reencoding it (with the lossy DivX) will only make it worse, in fact.

I doubt it's a problem with the CPU since yours is already more than enough for playback. Try playing the movie with all filter settings set to the minimum and play the choppy scenes again. It may not make a difference, but worth a try.

Comment

Working...