Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jneill0752
    • Dec 2001

need DV codec

What codec will work for DV format in Virtual-Dub? Where do I download it from? How Do I install it?

I capture my home VHS tapes with a Pinnacle Studio DC10plus card as Mjpeg.avi. I want to use Pinnacle Express to create VCDs. Pinnacle Express will only import Type 2 DV format AVIs. Any sugestion on how to convert the Mjpeg AVIs to DV format AVIs will be appreciated.

I have downloaded the demo MainActor v3.6 and it will do the conversion. After paying for two Pinnacle programs I would like to use a free program and codec to do this conversion.

Thank You,
    John Neill
    Henderson, TX
    jneill0752@aol.com
    Last edited by jneill0752; 15 Dec 2001, 12:05 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I capture my home VHS tapes with a Pinnacle Studio DC10plus card as Mjpeg.avi. I want to use Pinnacle Express to create VCDs."

I believe that you can convert MJPEG.AVI files directly to VCD-MPEG1 format using the current version of TMPGEnc.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• jneill0752
      • Dec 2001

Thank you.

I still would like to use Pinnacle Express because it creates the VCD with file names and directories needed to play in DVD palyers. Pinnacle Express only imports DV format AVIs.

I will look at TMPGEnc.

Thanks for your reply.
      Last edited by jneill0752; 15 Dec 2001, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I still would like to use Pinnacle Express because it creates the VCD with file names and directories needed to play in DVD palyers"

VCDs DO NOT require either file names or directories in order to play in DVD players.

Comment

• jneill0752
          • Dec 2001

no luck with TMPGEnc

Hello again,

TMPGEnc and QuickTimePro only pick up the sound from my MJPEGs created by Pinnacle DC10Plus. Virtual-Dub ,Power DVD, MainActor and Windows Media Player play both audio and video. Any ideas why?

I do not yet have a DVD player that will play CDRs. It will be nice if they play MPEG1 VCDs and MP3s with no required directory or file name structure. The VCD I created from the MainActor DV file made from a MJPEG created with Pinnacle Studio DC10Plus plays in Power DVD very nice with a scene selection menu that shows the first frame of the scene. This menu stuff might be why the directories and different files. There are files with DAT and VCD extensions but no MPG extensions.

I paid QuickTime $32 to upgrade to pro because it was supposed to save to DV format. It does not read the video from the MJPEGs.

I think it cost $99 to unlock MainActor and get rid of the "MAINACTOR" watermark that the demo puts on the video. It is probably my best choice. I wish the Pinnacle Express was more versitile in the file formats it accepts. I have gotten no response from an e-mail to Pinnacle Support.

Thanks again,
          John
          Last edited by jneill0752; 15 Dec 2001, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Virtual-Dub ,Power DVD, MainActor and Windows Media Player play both audio and video"

If that's the case, you can certainly load your file into VDub, convert it to a DivX .Avi and then DEFINITELY make it into a VCD_MPEG1 file in TMPGEnc.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• jneill0752
              • Dec 2001

Just bought a ROWA DVD 3610 DVD/VCD/MP3 player for $99 at Sears. It plays MP3s and VCDs created with Pinnacle Express.

It does not read the MPGs from Tmepgnc. I converted DIVX to Mpg-1 file. Under Tmpegnc tools, I tried changing this to a SVCD mpg. The conversion was instant and the file size did not change. Both fills look the same with Power DVD, so I do not think anything changed. Neither plays in the ROWA DVD player. I use 640x480 resolution for DIVX. Does this need to be changed for VCD and SVCD?

I have been using Divx fast motion with 1 sec btw key frames and 1206 kbps capture rate to make Divx files. Is it worth the trouble and time to make 2 pass files with Divx 4.11. How do you do the 2 pass method in Vdub. I did not get it to do anything on a second pass.

Thanks,
              John

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Just bought a ROWA DVD 3610 DVD/VCD/MP3 player for $99 at Sears. It plays MP3s and VCDs created with Pinnacle Express.

It does not read the MPGs from Tmepgnc. I converted DIVX to Mpg-1 file"

1) Despite the fact that your DVD player also has the general ability to play VCDs (different than SVCDs), you'll discover that, unfortunately, standalone players are VERY selective (and vary widely) about which brands of CD-Rs (used to create the VCDs) they'll recognize. I've had great success on many players with the Prime Peripherals and ArtMedia brands of CD-Rs.

2) Under TMPGEnc, you have to set the "System" settings for "MPEG1-Video CD" and NOT simply "MPEG1"

3) For information about the specific capabilities of your standalone DVD player (including CD-R recognition), go to:

Video forums, video software downloads, guides, blu-ray players and media.

Let us know of your success;>}

Comment

• jneill0752
                  • Dec 2001

Nero is the answer

The demo version of Nero encodes the MJPEG avis to VCD and burns the disk. $99 for MainActor, $32 for QuickTime Pro, $74 for Pinnacle Express and a DV captue card and Nero does the job for free. I like MainActor for fancy edit tricks but Virual-Dub is my first choice for cut & splice edits. Pinnacle Express can't finish a job without hanging up.

I have been experimenting now for 3 months with the Pinnacle StudioDC10plus and now I know what I want to do with my 80 hrs of home VHS tapes. I will use Nero to make 70 min VCDs and 30 min SVCDs. These play on my ROWA DVD player.

Thanks for the discussion,
                  John

Comment

Working...