X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acenz
    • Aug 2002

fumblimg in the dark...

Hope that someone cane help.
    I have two problems. I want to convert a simple .AVI file to a divx file yet I have downloaded about 10 programs and they all only convert from DVD drives.
    I have had a few that do mpeg 1 and 2 but I want to use divx.
    The reason for this is that I want to use a video-in system to create .avi (and possible .mpg) files from DVD and Video/TV using RCA cables (with the Leadtech XP2000 TV in card - yet to purchase). Does anyone know if Macrovision will affect this?
    I would just buy a DVD drive but I already have a top of the line one for Home Theatre and heaps of programs on Video that I would like to put on CD.
    Why don't I just use mpeg 1?
    because I have seen mpeg 4....................
    Thanks to anyone who can help
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Use Virtualdub and the DivX codec to convert existing AVI and MPG files to DivX-compressed AVI files (Yes. DivX files generally have the extension .AVI).

As for capturing from an external source, you'd have to wait for other posters who have the relevant experience and knowledge. I'm not into this area (yet). On the other hand, it would be better if you just bought a DVD drive (Even a cheap and slow one will do perfectly). The reason is there are too many factors affecting the process you have in mind. For one, you need to capture the frames and either compress (lossy) or leave them uncompressed (Need heaps and heaps of space to store one full-length movie). With a DVD drive, all you need to do is rip the DVD into your harddrive and start a frameserver to start creating the DivX file. No monsters of a harddrive requirement.

Comment

• acenz
      • Aug 2002

sweet

hey thanks mate, with your help and a bit of looking around the site I am on my way.
      Just out of interest which BRAND dvd players give the best results?
      They all seem to be about the same price here

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Just out of interest which BRAND dvd players give the best results?
        Not quite clear there. If you're talking about stand-alone DVD players, I'm not the one to ask.

If you're talking about DVD player softwares, PowerDVD and WinDVD are worthy players. I personally use and like PowerDVD. Equally important is the graphics adapter you are using. From my experience, nVidia cards do not give good results for DVD playback purposes (eg. They do not properly remove interlaces). My experience with Radeon cards for DVD playback has been very satisfactory. I don't know about Matrox cards and any older cards unfortunately.

Comment

Working...