Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mpegger
    • Nov 2001

Decimate filter?

I've been looking to find a filter like Decimate that works fully within VirtualDub, and not need AviSynth to process the video. Would anyone know of such a filter?
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Yes of course, donald graft's home page apper to have moved

Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Mpegger
      • Nov 2001

Yes, thats the filter I was reffering to. But as I said, I'd prefer one that doesn't require the use of a separate program and works fully within VirtualDub. I usually do all my video editing at once, and then while I sleep I let the job control crunch away.

Unless you'r saying that the filter now works fully in VirtualDub and Donald just hasn't updated the description?

Btw, is it just me, or does everything on broadcast TV seem to be originally @ 24fps? Everything I run through Telecide seems to come out at the standard 1-2-3-4-4-1-2-3-4-4 style. Or is that just the way the Telecide filter works? Either way, shaving the extra frame off would help for the DivX files.
      Last edited by Mpegger; 20 Aug 2002, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Mpegger

Unless you'r saying that the filter now works fully in VirtualDub and Donald just hasn't updated the description?
        As I understand it you don't need to write the avisynth script yourself, the decimate filter does work by simply adding it, as a virtualdub filter, but you need to have avisynth installed, because the virtualdub filter uses avisynth. But I could be wrong, I don't have any experience with this myself.

Originally posted by Mpegger

Btw, is it just me, or does everything on broadcast TV seem to be originally @ 24fps? Everything I run through Telecide seems to come out at the standard 1-2-3-4-4-1-2-3-4-4 style. Or is that just the way the Telecide filter works? Either way, shaving the extra frame off would help for the DivX files.
        Well all movies that are made for cinema are created at 24fps, I'am not sure about TV shows and such. I live in a PAL country, and don't suffer as much from this kind of problems.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

The Decimate filter does not quite work like most other Virtualdub filters. You need to read the instructions for it and figure out how to properly use it. I'll give you what I understand of its operation.

1. Open the video in Virtualdub. Note: If you are using a frameserver (for DVD -> DivX purposes), I suggest you use GordianKnot to do all the pre-processing and Avisynth Script (.avs) file creation. Reason is, the Decimate filter will create a new Avisynth script, which you have to open and work with, instead of the original .avs file. This new .avs file acts as the 'decimated' video.
          2. From within the Decimate settings, specify the location of the .avs file that the filter will generate. Specify also the level of decimation (eg. 1 in 25 for 25fps -> 24fps, 1 in 5 for 30fps -> 24fps, etc.)
          3. Go back to the main VirtualDub interface and start the creation of the .avs file (I'm not going to elaborate on that. The Readme contains all you need to know)
          4. Once done, edit the new .avs file so that it points to the original .avs file you have (Check the Readme too)
          5. Go to Video -> Framerate and select the desired new framerate. Alternatively, if you have already loaded an audio file that you wish to mux with the video, the bottom choice (Change so video and audio durations match) will be most convenient as it automatically adjusts the frame rate to the desired value
          6. Start your usual encoding procedure.

Comment

• Mpegger
            • Nov 2001

I pretty much followed the directions down to the letter, but kept getting a "Sylia Script Error" whenever I tried to run it. I think it was "Missing File Parameter". No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work. Only reason I can think of is that I dont have AviSynth installed, nor do I even know how to use it or how it works, so that may be the cause of the error.

But after looking at the test I ran it doesn't look like the Decimate filter does a good job on all clips. Even though I have it set to every 1 in 5, the script was deleting clips all over the place. Sometimes every 4th, 2nd, and even every 10th frame was set to be deleted by the script. I guess I threw a clip too difficult for it.

Comment

Working...