Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glottis
    • Sep 2002

AVI codecs ( I think)

Ok, here's my dilemma. After trying to update my ATI drivers, I had to do a fresh Windows install....bye bye C drive. After that, I had to reinstall all the usual and now, for the love of god I don't know why some of my files won't play properly. I put in my new video drivers and most things work properly, and most of the AVI's I play are fine, but some of them have no sound. They had sound before I did my re-install/update. I've tried downloading new codec packs (nimo 5 build 8 and divx 5) but they haven't solved the problem. So far it's only been AVI's that don't have sound. MP3's work fine, Quicktime works fine, MPEGs work fine, MOV fine, ASF fine. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here.

Thanks,

Stone
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

In order to determine which codec(s) you need for a problematic .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

(I'm guessing that the .AVIs were encoded using the DivX audio codec, which is automatically installed when you install the DivX v.3.11 alpha codec)

Comment

• glottis
      • Sep 2002

heres a screen shot

Thanks for the super fast reply. I have installed divX 5 and I thought it was fully backwards compatible/integrated. If it isn't do I just install v3.11 also?

Anyway, here's the screen shot.

Thanks ahead of time,

Stone
      Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thanks for the super fast reply."
        My pleasure ;>}

My guess was correct about the audio format (Tag 0161 IS "DivX audio").

I'd suggest that you first uninstall the version 5 codec, install the v.3.11 codec and then reinstall the v.5 codec. (I don't believe you'll need to install the v.4.12 codec, but if you should install it, answer with a resounding "No!" to, "Do you want the v.4.12 codec to play v.3.11 videos?")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• glottis
          • Sep 2002

All hail Setarip and all the knowledge contained in that mighty head.

It works it works it works. Thanks Seta. I assumed that they would have included all the old standards in a new updated version (all codecs from 3 and 4 in 5 ) but I guess they didn't. Odd, but now I know.

Now, I'm off to watch movies.

Stone

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Once again, my pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...