• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vic102482
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jan 2002

Question?

Is it illegal in the United States to sell how to backup DVD guides?
  • benedict
    Lord of the 4th Estate
    • Jun 2002

Freedom of Speech covers you. Most however put in some sort of disclaimer regarding using the material only for legal copying.
    It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

It falls in the "infamous" gray area Depending on who you talk to, it could be legal/illegal.

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

It pretty much has DMCA written allover it.
        Last edited by khp; 22 Sep 2002, 10:11 AM.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by khp
          It pretty much has DCMA written allover it.
          I agree. It is a fairly "risky" business.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Sell how-to-backup-DVD guides? With a number of excellent guides freely available on the internet, your market for consumers is rather difficult.

Comment

• benedict
              Lord of the 4th Estate
              • Jun 2002

Market is difficult? Perhaps, but I eat freeware for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If the market were really so questionable, I'd question why anyone would much bother to buy software at all. I can tell you for certain that there is far little that I cannot get done with freeware that people pay money to do. But of course, all we are saying here is that far too many are willing to spend money without doing their basic research.

As to questionable legalities, there is not question as to a person's right in this country to say anything but "FIRE!" in a crowded theater. Of course, that is not to say that every Hollywood lawyer will not bust your in-box with outrageous legalease threatening your swift arrival in hell should you not stop. Of course, they too are allowed to do that under free speech.

But let's face it: They can't even win their cases too much regarding fully-copyrighted material. Does anyone really think they are going to waste their time getting egg on their faces trying to argue that merely discussing this is a breach of the copyright laws?

As to this forum, we have many thousands of members, and thus provide a wide target. That is entirely a different matter entirely.
              It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

Originally posted by benedict
                As to questionable legalities, there is not question as to a person's right in this country to say anything but "FIRE!" in a crowded theater.
                This is completly wrong, Free speach is not a 'get out of jail free' card. There are quite a lot of things that you can't say under freedom of speach, the DeCSS code is one such example.

And I'am not quite sure that selling a documet for a profit can be considered free speach.
                Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
                http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Although "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre" is the most frequently offered example of exceptions, it is FAR from being the sole exception. Note the following:

During the first session of the 84th Congress, 1955, First Amendment scholar Alexander Meiklejohn was summoned before the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Constitutional Rights to summarize his interpretation of the First Amendment. The following is his testimony.

"Thus libels, blasphemies, attacks upon public morals or private reputation have been held punishable. So too, we are told that "counselling a murder" may be a criminal act, or "falsely shouting fire into a theatre, and causing panic." "Offensive" or "provocative" speech has been denied legislative immunity. "Contempt of court," shown by the use of speech or by refusal to speak, may give basis for prosecution. Utterances which cause a riot or which "incite" to it may be subject to the same legal condemnation. And this listing of legitimate legislative abridgements of speech could be continued indefinitely. Their number is legion."

Perhaps more importantly, it is most probable that a document DETAILING the methodology involved in duplicating DVDs would be subject to attack for violation of copyright(s).

If one keeps in mind that a website was successfully sued by the MPAA for merely providing a LINK to another site containing the DeCSS code, it becomes quite apparent that "logic" and "legal interpretation" of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of Americaare not necessarily in lockstep...

Comment

Working...