X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apnoea
    • Mar 2002

Films on the go???

Hi-
    I've just splashed out on a nice new pocket pc and saw a complete film to buy and load onto it and watch on the go! (reqs. 96+ megs space though)
    Has anybody got any ideas about squeezing a whole film into 50-60 megs in a format that mobile wm8 likes?

I must admit that I haven't had and won't have any time to really give things a try for a while, but I was thinking of working close to full res (240x320 yes- that way round) and maybe rotating the film round 90degrees to fit better... obviously some vicious cropping would be in order to reduce the amount of raw data.
    Is there going to be any advantage in using resolution other than exact pixel/half pixel size? i.e. how much [more] quality loss will there be in dropping from 240x320 (rotated) to 160x220 ? Or am i better off going for exact half-size if 240x320 is only slightly too big?

Does dropping the colour depth have any compression bonus? I suspect that it's optimised for 24 or 32bit and 16 or 12bits won't drop the filesize...
    Audio- MP3?? Don't know that it plays anything else! Obviously low sampling rate (22 low enough?) and 8bits?

I know it likes MPEG1 (not much doesn't) but does anybody know of pocket pc codecs that can be installed? Say, mpeg4?? (if it isn't already included) DivX would be a nice one...

In know I'm never going to get 2 hours of DVD quality film out of the thing but I'd at least like to be able to get an episode of friends or 2 for when I'm bored. I'm not particularly bothered about battery life- lets assume i have an infinitely long-life battery!

Any ideas/reccomendations anyone?
    Cheers-
    Apnoea
    Last edited by Apnoea; 4 Oct 2002, 08:05 PM.
  • Apnoea
    • Mar 2002

In part answer to my own question-
    Project Mayo have released Pocket DivX Player!

I'll be playing with that in due course!

Comment

Working...