Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToiletDuck
    • Jul 2002

Windows Media 9 codec

Hey guys I've been away from the forums scene for awhile and was wanting to ask you guys what you thought of the Windows Media 9 codec. For awhile I have been using Real Media's RV9 codec which in my opinion has producded the best films that I have ever seen of comparable size. However I have not used the WM9 Codec yet. I would like to hear the rant and rave on it if anyone has any opinions and also what you guys have to say about any new codecs that are out. I've been reading on doom9.org and well lately there hasn't been so much about the actual codecs lately. Is 3.x history? Does 4.x still suck? Is 5.x any better than is was 3 months ago? If not much has changed witht he actual codecs then I have to say that the RV9 codec is still the king. However I've only used the windows codec onced and it sucked but I'm pretty sure that was because I didn't know what I was really doing with it. So if you guys have used it and are really happy with it let me know. Also if you have any sites that have guides on how to use it I would like to know that as well.

Peace, Love, War with Iraq...
    Duck
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Re: Windows Media 9 codec

Originally posted by ToiletDuck
    Hey guys I've been away from the forums scene for awhile and was wanting to ask you guys what you thought of the Windows Media 9 codec.
    I did a test, a few weeks ago, and I wasn't really impressed with it. In my opinion divx5 was clearly better in my test. But maybe I didn't use the optimal settings for WM9, I had the decoder complexity set to auto which may well have held back the encoder.

For awhile I have been using Real Media's RV9 codec which in my opinion has producded the best films that I have ever seen of comparable size.
    I'am sorry, whenever I hear the words real media, dark clouds start forming in my head. I've always hated their player, with a passion.

Is 3.x history?
    That depends on who you ask.

Does 4.x still suck?
    Again that depends on who you ask. But since nothing has changed I guess the answer must be yes.

Is 5.x any better than is was 3 months ago?
    Cirtainly not, I'am pretty sure the latest revision is more than 3 months old.

However I've only used the windows codec onced and it sucked but I'm pretty sure that was because I didn't know what I was really doing with it.
    I've got the same feeling, the encoder has more options than I can count and very little documentation .
    Last edited by khp; 8 Oct 2002, 10:53 AM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

Doom9 conducted a test some months ago. SBC came out first, however Divx 5.02 was a very close second, and in fact the difference in quality between the two maybe negligable. Divx 5 seems to be the "wave of the future" at this point, as it is "easier" to use. Realplayer's new codec, while impressive when compared to prior versions, failed to "make the grade" as it take away too much detail. While this does not impact my view on the codec, I just "hate" real's pesky advertising tactics.

WMP 9 is good (especially at lower quality settings) but still can't compete with divx in most cases. However, encoding with WMP 9 (as it is relatively new) may be difficult and slow. Divx 4 is not a good codec and I agree it "sucks".

Comment

• ToiletDuck
        • Jul 2002

Yea I totally understand about using the real media player. However I downloaded it and installed it and did the 6 step install where I un clicked all the boxes. Now I use it all the time for movie watching. I actually prefer it over win media player. Once you install it and set everything right it doesn't call home, have any pop ups, or anything else of that nature. It acts like Windows Media player except a little better now in my own opinion. just set it up. I'm all about quality so I don't really care what player I have to use as long as i can configure it to my taste. And now that i have I'm very pleased with it. However I was just wondering. When was teh last time you saw a server that used real media? How does that company make their money? And how do you use their website lol.

Duck

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

I have tried, and I'm still unable to stop the "message center." Furthermore, on older cpu's the Real one player consumes many more resources. I still like its play list feature and it has a nice design. Sometimes finding what you want at real.com is like running through a maze For me, I use BSPLAYER. Real media has lessened its focus on video compression technology and has instead positioned itself into something of an on-line "cable company" offering programming and music services.

"Peace, Love, War with Iraq... "
          Rather contradictory statements?
          Last edited by Batman; 8 Oct 2002, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...