Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wargy2
    • Jan 2002

Audio sync problems... please help

I have encoded hundreds of movies successfully... so I am not a novice at this. Nevertheless, here is my problem. In the resulting movie, the audio is HORRIBLY off sync. Within the first 2 mintues of the movie, it's already off by 8 seconds. Then after about 5 minutes, it's over 30 seconds off. I haven't watched past that. It gets worse as it goes.

I rip with Smart Ripper... that is working fine for sure.
    I encode with FlaskMPEG. Using "DivX MPEG-4 Low-Motion" (that works for sure).
    It works when I use the audio codec named "MPEG Layer-3" at 128 kBits/s, 44,100 Hz... I am not sure what it came with. It even works now.
    However, I have some movies that I encoded with "DivX Audio", at 128 kbps, 48khz... which came with the Divx 5 bundle, and that is when the problem occurs.

I have tried using Virtual Dub to:
    -recompress the audio using the one that works... that doens't solve it.
    -convert from 48khz to 44.100Hz... that doesn't solve it.
    -use uncompressed audio... that doens't work.

Can anybody offer me some useful advice? I am not sure what else to try? Also, I have had problems with Virtual Dub working properly... I don't know if that could be causing a problem. Is there any other program that I might be able to use that would fix the problem?

Thanks!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I have tried using Virtual Dub"

For DivX audio, set VirtualDub's audio interleave to every 500 milliseconds, rather than every 1 frame (Make certain to set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying")

Comment

• wargy2
      • Jan 2002

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I did NOT have it set like that, but it did not help. Actually, it didn't seem like it changed at all. I would have thinked that even if it wasn't on sync, it would have changed at least. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

Comment

• wargy2
        • Jan 2002

When I tried it with 500ms interleaving, I didn't change anything else (like 48Khz to 44,100 Hz)... should I still do that as well?

Comment

• wargy2
          • Jan 2002

Actually... every change I have made has shown no difference. Going from 48K to 44,100, 500ms per ms, I even tried 1000ms per ms to see if it would make any difference. I've also tried uncompressed audio. Every attempt has resulted in estentially the same output.

This is why I think maybe Virtual Dub isn't working right??? Or maybe I just wouldn't see a difference that early in the film?

Thanks again... the more suggestions the better!

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

It could be a video frame rate problem. Try changing the frame rate.

Comment

• wargy2
              • Jan 2002

I will try, but I doubt it is that since if I only change the audio encoding setting it works.

By the way, I do not have the original VOB files to reencode it. Otherwise that would solve it. That is why I am also wondering if it is possible to uncompress the .avi file to basically go back to .vob files. I realize that I will lose quality... but is there a chance it can fix the audio?

That I don't know how to do.

Thanks again!

Comment

• wargy2
                • Jan 2002

Virtual Dub has that option to change the frame rate so that the video and audio durations match. If I pick that, that sets the frame rate around 26fps (weird number?)... the output video was much better, but not perfect. It started in sync in the beginning and then near the end it was off by a few seconds.

I would be happy if this works... but really, if the audio is playnig too fast, I should slow down the auido, not speed up the video. That's not fixing it, it's just adding to the problems.

Any other suggestions... I REALLY appreciate it!

Comment

• wargy2
                  • Jan 2002

That feature (matching video and audio durations) seems VERY useful. Does anyone know of a program or a Virtual Dub feature that will match the Audio to the Video??? I think that might fix it...

Comment

Working...