X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sos
    • Dec 2001

Problem burning SVCD

Hi world,

I'm having an issue burning an MPEG movie to SVCD for playback in my DVD player. (Yes, the DVD player is definitely capable of playing SVCDs, that's the least of my problems!)

The problem is that the final movie when I play it back on the DVD player has a synch problem. Audio is out by about a half a second from the video. Playing the MPEG file on the PC is fine so I'm thinking its the burning process that I've broken.

I used Nero 5.0.0.3 to burn the CD. (Tried Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum as well, but it won't do MPEG2/SVCD).

Is there better burning software I should use or might I have missed an option in Nero somewhere?

TIA

Sos
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Have you played back the burned SVCD on your PC? If the timing is correct under this scenario, then there is a physical problem with your standalone DVD player.

Be advised that although the standalone may play commercial DVDs without any timing problems, it may still exhibit the problem you've described with burned CD-Rs (VCD or SVCD).

Let us know of your success ;>}

P.S. Unfortunately, I speak from experience with one of my DVD players - a Sony DVP-S360.

Comment

• Sos
      • Dec 2001

Excellent question!

As it turns out, the burned SVCD won't play back on my PC. I get "AVSEQ01: Cannot play back the file, the format is not supported". This is with WMP v8.00.00.4477 under XP. This seems odd, I would have thought it should play back.

I have played VCDs fine on the standalone DVD player in the past and had no problems with them. This is the first time I've tried an SVCD though. The manual says it definitely supports VCD and SVCD so it _should_ work, but then again ... !

Comment

• Sos
        • Dec 2001

Update...

Downloading an MPEG-2 decoder allowed me to play the SVCD on my PC (its an MPEG-2 SVCD!) and the synch is fine.

So I'm guessing your initial guess was right setarip, it looks like a problem with the standalone DVD player. Maybe it can't do MPEG2 SVCDs only MPEG1. Its a JNL-7001 in case anyone happens to know it.

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
          • Nov 2001

I have had a similar problem with my stand-alone DVD Player and SVCD's. It is capable of playing SVCD but the first one i got the lip sinc was out half a second yet fine on my PC and fine on a friends Stand-Alone DVD Player. But i persisted and thought i would try another one and it plays fine, no lip sinc problems at all. Trying to think of why this happend is too much of a strain and the possiblilites are more or less endless (brand of disc, what program were they burnt with, what they were converted with, where they were downloaded from and in what format, what speed they were converted and burnt at ect ect ect)

So my advice is to try a few others before you give up on SVCD's and your stand-alone DVD Player

Cheers

Comment

• Sos
            • Dec 2001

Interesting. I know the original quality is perfect 'cos I ripped it off a DVD. Its only the final (burning) stage where its breaking down, but maybe its because I stuffed something up on the way.

I'm trying again with another DVD as you suggested and see how it goes this time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

It may also be a frame-rate related problem. If perchance you burned the video at 29.97 or 23.976 fps (instead of 30 or 24), your standalone player might exhibit the behavior that you've described.

Comment

• Sos
                • Dec 2001

I'm pretty sure I used 25fps as its a PAL disc.

If it was a framing problem wouldn't that show up as wrong on the PC too?

Both the DVD and TV can do both PAL and NTSC and they're set to switch automatically and that's always worked in the past so I'm pretty sure it won't be a mismatch between those 2 either.

Incidentally, in case it matters, I used the following process:
                1) Smartripper to rip the source DVD to disk
                2) MPEG2AVI (with GUI wrapper) to framserve the AVI file (DIVX)
                3) Graphedit to pull the audio to a WAV file
                4) TMPGEnc to create the MPG from AVI + WAV
                5) TMPGEnc to split the MPG into 2
                6) Nero to burn

If there's a simpler/better way to do this, I'm all ears !

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

I just researched my records - and refreshed my memory. the sync problem that I had with one of my DVD players turned out to be resolved NOT by adjusting the video FPS, rather by cutting the sound sampling from 48,000Kbps to 44,100Kbps.

Let me know if this works for you ;>}

Comment

• Sos
                    • Dec 2001

Good tip - thanks very much - I'll have another go and see if I can create another coaster !

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

Just a suggestion - I always keep a couple of rewriteables around for experimental/problem situations ;>}

Comment

• Sos
                        • Dec 2001

Funny you should mention that - I've had the same advice from a guy at work - gotta go get myself a couple more methinks!!

Comment

• icerock
                          • Dec 2001

sos that vcd thing still have a problem well i read that you could not open the .DAT file in xp, what you need to do is right click it do the boxes and open with media player, remember to uncheck the always open this file with box it shold run ok from there.

then if it runz ok, there are a couple of reason normaly for this prob however, why svcd and not vcd?

Comment

Working...