DivX video with DVM audio - cannot uncompress DVM???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demise
    • Oct 2002

DivX video with DVM audio - cannot uncompress DVM???

I've got a couple DivX movies with DVM audio (AVI audio codec 0x2000, recognized as FAST Multimedia AG by MovieID, recognized by Windows Media Player only as using the Morgan Stream Switcher, crashes DivX player altogether). I'm trying to covert to MP3 audio for compatibility reasons. My audio programs don't recognize the format as my DivX player didn't either. VirtualDub gives me an error message saying the input and output formats don't match (even when I just want to playback, or save as uncompressed audio). I'm guessing the problems deal with the fact that DVM is a 5 channel format (obtained that info from MovieID). Where could I get information/converters/any help at all with this audio format? Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Actually, the tag 2000 is indicative of an AC3 audiostream. Either download and install an AC3 audio filter/codec or install a software DVD player (WinDVD, PowerDVD, etc.). Doing either of these will allow you to play your videos under Windows Media Player or similar.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• demise
      • Oct 2002

Thanks for the heads up on AC3, it'll give me something more to work with. I can already play with Windows Media Player, probably because I have PowerDVD already installed. However I need a way to decode and recode into standard 2 channel stereo audio (MP3), and I'm having a problem finding an AC3 decoder that can be used by virtual Dub/Sound Forge/Cool Edit to at very least bring it to uncompressed PCM stereo. Any suggestions where to look? Thanks.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

**IMPORTANT - VirtualDub v.1.4AC3 is a specific MODIFIED version of VirtualDub!

Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub v1.4C-AC3, set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying" and select (under "File") "Save .WAV/.AC3" - and save as .AC3 (IMPERATIVE to save as .AC3!).

Despite the fact that .AC3 file extracted using VDub-AC3 doesn't play properly, PX3AC3Converter will do a perfect job of converting it to .WAV format.

Comment

• demise
          • Oct 2002

How come I can't set the Audio to Full Processing, with the compression set to Uncompressed PCM or even to MP3 directly?
          Thanks for the VDub-AC3 advice, seems to be the way to go. I also found a program called 'BeSweet' (recently posted in the software section) for AC3 conversion with a decent GUI, is this effective? Thanks again.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks for the VDub-AC3 advice, seems to be the way to go."

My pleasure ;>}

" I also found a program called 'BeSweet' (recently posted in the software section) for AC3 conversion with a decent GUI, is this effective? "

Yes.

Comment

• demise
              • Oct 2002

Just wanted to report that I was able to extract the audio with VDub-AC3 and reformat it with BeSweet and everything seemed to work out great for both of the problem movies. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Congratulations! - and, once again, my pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...